SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology

Smart ForTwo Pure My 2006 Smart will start but has no power

My 2006 Smart will start but has no power to move itself or rev up. It's a 3 cylinder diesel with approx 80,000 km.
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I need all the help I can get. My car appeared to be running fine. I fueled up and drove home approx 40km and parked in my garage. The next day I started my car and backed out of the garage and it seemed to struggle (it wasn't running very good). I started out and I realized that it didn't have the power to pull itself out of a wet paper bag. I put it back in the garage thinking it was flooded (I don't think diesels flood??). It was also spewing black smoke out of the exhaust. I left it for a few days. I started it again, but this time it wouldn't even back up and it wouldn't even rev up. I had to push the dam thing out of the way, as I needed the space it was occupying (thank god it's a small car). I have a smart car manual by Dan Graves, but I don't see anything that relates to this problem (useless manual?). Hope you can help?

There is a major problem with the fueliing. I suspect there is a bad injection pump to the injectors not allowing fuel to properly flow as needed. If you have yet to replace the fuel filter this is the first place to start.

I'm in Calgary today and will be returning to where I live (50 miles west of Edm) tomorow afternoon. I will pick up a fuel filter to take with me and change it this weekend and will let you know the results. Thanks for now.

I changed the fuel filter, but nothing has changed. What now?

Since I asked "what now?". I haven't received an answer and I see it is closed? How about finishing up on my original question?

Sounds like you have a failing injector only thing left that can cause this.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posted in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the news is not what we want it to be and can be expensive and disapponting, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at beginning your question with “Snapontech"