Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2006 isuzu i-280: wont start..intermittently..I can wait ten minutes

My 2006 isuzu i-280 sometimes won't start, intermittently, no rhyme or reason. Sometimes I can wait ten minutes and it will start, but sometimes I have I wait to longer before it starts. Also, when it does't start if I release the key it sounds like the starter is still trying to start the truck for a few seconds. What's wrong - the starter, the cellanoid or the ignition? Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
It cranks over when it does not start correct ? Is the engine light on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it always turns over. No engine light
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Ok most common is the crank sensor has failed. This shorts out and does not allow spark to the engine . This needs to be checked next. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, I've never used this before...AM I supposed to take the car to the repair shop tomorrow and tell him to replace the crank sensor. If that's it then I come back and pay you. If it's not however do I not pay you or do you give me another guess? And then I pay the repair guy again?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
You click the green accept is a one time charge. You have the shop test the crank sensor when it does not start . If that's not the issue I work with you for no further charge . Don't had them replace anything without testing. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How about you just tell me what the other options might be now, so I can go to the mechanic and ask him to check, in order the things you tell me, because I won't be able to take my car to the shop and ask them to check the crank sensor and if that's not it then I have to get back online ask you again, and then call the mechanic tell him to check something else, etc etc..I don't mind paying you for good information, I just want to be able to take it in and get it fixed and not have to go back and forth between you and the mechanic the whole while my car is unuseable to me. So if you could please just give me 2 or 3 prioitized answers I woul be grateful and will accept.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
If it's a spark issue it would be the crank sensor if a fuel issue they need to check the fuel relay and fuel pump. These need to be checked next . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will let you know tomorrow.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Ok don't forget to click the green accept button so I get credit for my help.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took the truck into shop. Told them what you thought. They ran some kind of diagnostic test and basically said the dame thing...crank sensor low. So, we had them replace the sensor. We were very pleased UNTIL yesterday when we took the truck up to Lowe's and it wouldn't start when we were ready to leave. We had to wait about 15 minutes and try again. Then it startted. So nothing is fized, nothing has changed. What' do think now....?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Was it still missing spark?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what that means...my husband isn't home right now. I know it turned over like it wanted to start but wouldn't. It wasn't a clicking noise. Does that answer your question? If not I will have him answer as soon as he either calls me or gets home (within about an hour)
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Yes so it's either a spark or fuel issue . Ask him if fuel pressure was checked when it was not starting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think so cos I took it in. They ran the diagnostic, and then replaced the sensor and that's all to my knowledge. Should I take it back and have them check fuel pressure? Or somethng else? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it wasn't cos I took it in. They ran the diagnostic, replaced the sensor and that's it. Should I take it back and have them check the fule pressure or do something else?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Yes of there is spark they need to check fuel pressure next . Could be a weak fuel pump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When the car sets for an hour or a few hours is when it seems likely NOT to start the f irst time. If you take quick trips it starts everytime usually. Does this give you any other indications? Also, the starter or the cellanoid = could these be issues?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
If it cranks over every time it's not a starter issue .Most likely a fuel pump issue or fuel relay issue. I would check these next.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks. We'll have to wait until tomorrow since today is a holiday. I do appreciate you answering last night and today. Have a great rest of your holiday today. I will let you know what happens if you're interested. Otherwise I guess we'll just have them fix fuel pump and fuel relay and hope that works. I'll ask them to test first though. Thanks again.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Anytime . I'm here if you need anything else . Have a great last day also. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So the truck is still not starting. It's not the crank sensor as you suggested (Replaced that) and it's not in the fuel pump or fuel relay either. Had those checked and didn't need replacing. We took it to the dealer. They replaced the control module but it still isn't starting. So now they think it's the ignition switch. BotXXX XXne, we asked you for help, took it Hotshot Automotive who replaced the crank sensor, still not working. Took it N&P who ran a test - they said fuel injectors - couldn't fix them though - suggested we take to dealer, and now the dealer whose test said control module not communicating. Replaced that and its communicating but still won't start.

My question for you is - what do you think I got for my $38.00. An opinion? Three or four guesses - none of which were correct. So I don't think this was money well spent. This seems to be just like all of the other mechanics guessing at what might be wrong. Can I get my money back since NONE of your opinions were correct?

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
My opinions are from hands on and most common issues . Remember the car is not here in front of me if it was I would be able to fix it in one day . Been in the business over 20 years . The information I gave you was well worth the money since a shop charges 100 an hour. So again I think I went above and beyond to assist you. Also how do I know they tested the components correctly I'm not there. A lot of techs have no clue how to test or diagnose. Again I know I have helped and saved you a lot of extra diagnosis costs. Have a shop that knows how to test components correctly and diagnose this . Should not take more then a few hours to diagnose the problem. Glad to help.