SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

2000 Cadillac escalade: periodically..about 15 minutes of sitting

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Cadillac escalade that will not start periodically after having been run to full operating temperature. it will start after about 15 minutes of sitting. there is no apparent common denominator to lead to the source of the problem. I have replaced the fuel pump & sender as well as the crank position sensor. after having replaced those 2 components it seemed to be ok for a couple weeks but started the same problem again.
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 3 years ago.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

SNAPONTECH :

Hello

SNAPONTECH :

This is most likely a problem with a clogged catalytic convertor

SNAPONTECH :

When it starts to go bad this is how it will act

SNAPONTECH :

I believe the problem is the cat

SNAPONTECH :

You can pull the O2 sensor in front of the cat if it will get better and fire than this is the problem

Customer:

I don't agree with that......the car runs fine when running. if it were clogged it would have poor performance.

SNAPONTECH :

No it only happens when it gets hot

SNAPONTECH :

I deal with so many of these

SNAPONTECH :

Why would I be on here to lie and mislead you

Customer:

i didn't imply you are lying.........

SNAPONTECH :

I am just saying I have no reason to give you inaccurate info

SNAPONTECH :

What happens is they will start melting then when cold it doesnt have an affect but when they get hot it will shit down

SNAPONTECH :

So cooling it off will allow it to run

SNAPONTECH :

So it will get worse

Customer:

I just don't feel that is the problem based on the performance..

SNAPONTECH :

All you have to do is when it will not start pull an Oxygen sensor if it starts than that is the problem for sure

Customer:

but I will try the O2 sensor....

SNAPONTECH :

Give that a try. If it doesnt work just let me know.

SNAPONTECH :

But I believe you have replaced the items in question with the fuel system and this is the issue

Customer:

the problem with that is it does it only periodically and to be able to pull the sensor wire when it does may not be possible...

SNAPONTECH :

The reason why you have to remove the sensor is to allow flow from the exhaust

SNAPONTECH :

This is how it normally will start then it will get worse and start doing it more until it will only run cold only

Customer:

I have tried disconnecting the sensor wire but there is no change. the owner of the car now tells me that it doesn't start at times when the engine has cooled while at work and she comes out to start it and it will not start. she says usually in 15 minutes it will start. so it is not just when the engine is hot as I was 1st led to believe. any other thoughts with this new info?

SNAPONTECH :

You have to pull the plug

SNAPONTECH :

Disconneting the connector will not do anything

Customer:

what plug are we talking about?

SNAPONTECH :

The oxygen sensor has to be removed

Customer:

so you still feel this is the converter being plugged even when it won't start cold?

SNAPONTECH :

If its getting worde

SNAPONTECH :

When the problem is happening

SNAPONTECH :

Check fuel pressure and spark

SNAPONTECH :

You need to do the basics

SNAPONTECH :

If the pressure is not within spec and there is spark then it can be a filter or pump

SNAPONTECH :

If there is no spark then it can be the coils

Customer:

I have done that but it will only do what it is doing periodically ......... it otherwise tests out fine with spark & fuel delivery....

Customer:

any chance of an ignition switch being bad.....??

SNAPONTECH :

does it always turn over

Customer:

yes

SNAPONTECH :

If its getting spark and fuel but not starting then check injector pulse

SNAPONTECH :

If all of those are there then it has to be a issue with burning the fuel

Customer:

the problem is that it is hard to get it to fail in order to do testing while exhibiting the no start condition.

SNAPONTECH :

I am not sure without something to go off

SNAPONTECH :

But I know the cat can do this to the vehicle when its failing

Customer:

so if

Customer:

so if I pull the sensor out and run the vehicle it should start ok at all times?

SNAPONTECH :

Yes. It should start ok

SNAPONTECH :

But still be a bit hard to start but this will give some relief

Customer:

I guess we will try that

SNAPONTECH :

Ok let me know what happens.