Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Ranger: noise coming..wheel bearing..vibration on my shifter

Hello.

I have a 2007 Land Rover Ranger rover hse 4.4. Just recently I've been hearing a loud howling noise coming from the front. I first thought it was a wheel bearing but I felt the vibration on my shifter and it seemed to make noise while im driving and when Im slowing down. I had a local shop lift up the vechilce on a rack and noticed the transfer case was making a noise and it seemed something was in the case moving around. The tech told me I needed to have my transfer case replaced or rebuilt. Can someone give me any info on this? Maybe if someone has had this issue before they can advise me. I would really appreciate it ..Thank you

Paul Proano
Chicago ,IL
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

While it is a little unusual for one to fail at only 4 years old, it does happen, it sounds like from you description that there is a bad bearing and something has broken which may have caused the bearing to fail. The only good option is to repolace it as they suggested.

What other questions did you have about it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What would that usually cost me to have that fixed? Im assuming they would have to open that transer case and replace bearing but I just want to be sure Im not going to over pay.

Thank you,

Paul

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

If it needs a rebuilt unit, they run about $2500 and if yours is anything more than just a bearing that will be what you will need.

Labor to install it is 5.2 hours at whatever their labor rate is.

If they can repair yours it is wide open depending on how bad it is but the labor to remove and install will still be 5.3 hours plus the parts and the time to make the actual repair.