Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

97 sidekick sport: clutch pedal..new master and slave..air bled out (

How can I get clutch pedal pressure back on '97 sidekick sport - new master and slave installed, air bled out (with assistant pedaling) - no pressure.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

did you pre-bleed the clutch master cylinder before installing it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No - it is a simple single piston with exit hole underneath I filled the bottle, pushed the padal, bled from the slave, tapped the master to clear bubbles into the reservoir and bled again through slave
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Suzuki has a special bleed procedure for the clutch master to be performed before pressure bleeding it.

Remove the master cylinder and tilt it approximately 15 degrees off of vertical, then add fluid to the reservoir and allow to gravity bleed for 60-90 seconds adding fluid to resevoir as needed to prevent running dry. Plug the brake line fitting hole in the master cylinder immediately after bleeding the air from it and reinstall master cylinder.

Perform normal bleeding procedure afterwards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
15 degrees in which direction? Reservoir up or down?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

sorry, with reservoir up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you - I shall try this and see if it works and get back to you if not or "Accept Answer" if it does...
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, sounds good
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK so, after 1/2 of vcuum bleding and pumping we have a little pdal pressure but not nough to operate the release arm - tropical thundersstorm just blew in so we must wait to continue - any more ideas?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

I have had stubborn ones that took an hour or more of using a vacuum bleeder to get all the air out and get a good pedal.

you can remove the line from the master cylinder and plug the end of master clyinder after bleeding it and see if it holds pressure or not. If not, then you have a defective master clyinder out of the box.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK so, I remove the line but I must plug it with something - I am using a golf tee to stop flui from coming out of the cylinder, must I try to find a threaded bolt of that size to plug it with?
This cylinder was in use for some time and the owner says that th pedal went "mushy" this was after I had adjusted th linkage tighten up the throw from the pedal - the bracket that bolts to the piston arm was a little bent and there was play in the bolt hole, since the bolt hole is far larger than the bolt!!!
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
HI,

If you have someone keep their finger on the golf tee to prevent it from blowing out, that will work fine. most parts stores will have a plastic threaded plug that you use.

In a pinch I have just had an assistent use their finger to plug the hole while I pump the pedal to see if there is any pressure or not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I shall give it a go - the drowning danger has passed - thank you Eric.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
hi,

no problem. and try to stay dry. I lived in florida for many years and went thru 3 hurricanes passing over my house in one year back in 2004. not much fun...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The grass does need it though - we tried your solution - fluid sprayed over helper and eng compt with finger pressure; golf tee worked better but pedal went to floor, even after pumping a few times - theree is pressure through the lines but the piston goes to bottom of cylinder without giving pedal back pressure - pedal just keeps flooring with little resistance. NAPA has a cyl for me but I cannot get to it until Mon AM - can I accept your answer with the $18 and apply that to the basic plan of 5 ?s/mo or do I have to pay again to log in to you on Mon if there is still a problem?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

no you dont have to pay again. once you accept, ALL related followup is free and part of our customer service. I stay with my customers until problem is resolved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Eric - we shall have a go on Mon w/a new master. It has been a pleasure so far, except for my attitude towards zuki ' engineering - c'est la vie d'auto ;}
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

sounds good and have a dry rest of the weekend
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor