Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
24034660

Have 1989 Suzuki Samurai w/carb. & mech. Fuel pump.

Have 1989 Suzuki Samurai w/carb. & mech. Fuel pump. I replaced fuel filter & blew out all fuel lines & it's not getting fuel to the carb. Put gauge on fuel pump & have 4.5 - 5 psi. Don't know if I have a vapor lock or a fuel pick up problem. Please help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
you installed the fuel guage where to test it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We installed it on the fuel line between the fuel pump and carb
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok and you have 4 to 5 PSI there can you visually see fuel coming out of where you connected that guage in when cranking it over?if so remove the fuel line into the carb check for PSI and good fuel flow there.if you have good PSI and flow there then there is an internal carb problem.if you do NOT have good PSI right at the carb and little or no visualy fuel flow then the pump is bad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have good psi at the carb so we thought problem was carb related. We bought & installed a new carb, but it did not fix the problem.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
if you look down the carb when pumping the gas pedal do you see fuel going down into the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yea
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
well if you see gas then that engine is getting fuel.check and see if you have spark when you are cranking it over.im having computer problems let me opent hsi question back up for the other experts.check for spark and you should hear back from another expert.no need to reply back to me as it will lock me into the question
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 3 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS. Ok, at this point you have fuel pressure, Can you remove a spark-plug wire and insert a screwdriver into the boot of the wire and then place it about 1/2 inch from a metal surface and then turn over the engine and see if there is a good series of sparks, Thanks Please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have already tried this and have good spark. It might run good for a day or two than it will just act like it's running out of gas. Start hesitating and stall. I was thinking maybe vapor lock but all fuel lines are away from heat. Or could it be picking up dirt in fuel pick up in tank? I replaced fuel filter about a week ago and it already has a lot of dirt in it, but it is staying full of fuel even when vehicle dies.

Is your fuel line to the carb, the factory steel line or has it been replaced with rubber hose?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Steele line from fuel filter to fuel pump. It had a factory rubber line from fuel pump to carb. I replaced it with a new rubber line when I put on new carb.
Ok, with the rubber hose from pump to carb. then vapor lock should not be an issue (unless the pump it self is vapor locking) I see that you should 4.5 -5 psi of pressure, But did you also perform a fuel flow test to make sure there is a good steady flow of fuel coming from the fuel line to the carb, (remove the hose from the carb and place the end of the hose into a glass bottle or jar and then crank over the engine for 20 seconds and see how much fuel is collected in the bottle and watch the fuel flow going into the bottle and see if it is a full steady flow or if it flows then stops and then flows, Thanks Please let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried that and had good fuel flow. Drove vehicle to see if it was running right,(3 miles) it ran great. Headed to work about an hour later and it stopped running after about a mile. Would not start, acted like it was out of gas. After work I tried to drive it back from where it died but only made it about a quarter mile it died and wouldn't start so I had to tow it home. Have not messed with it since. very frustrated.
At this point you need to check the filter in the fuel tank(it is called a tank sock filter,It is on the pick-up tube in the bottom of the fuel tank, These socks can get restricted and at times will allow fuel to pass through, and at other times they wont, (most just remove the sock and clean out the tank,a lot of junk collects on the bottom of the tanks and these meshed type socks will cause this type of issues! Thanks,Please let me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue.
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience: 30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for your help, I'll try that and see if it works. Appreciate your time.
Thank-you let me know if I can be of any other help, you can come back through this question.