Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1987 suzuki samurai: fine.Rebuilt engine and carburator replaced fuel

1987 suzuki samurai starving for fuel no power.Starts an idles fine.Rebuilt engine and carburator replaced fuel filter.What could possibly be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

if you are sure the carb is in good shape,,i would think your problem may be the fuel pump...before replacing the pump,check the fuel line for kinks or any damage

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Suzuki Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker 1986-1998

Fuel Pump

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
  • TESTING

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the fuel tank cap to release any fuel tank vapor pressure. Reinstall the fuel tank cap.
  3. Using a screwdriver, loosen the fuel pump hose clamps, then slide the clamps down the hoses away from the pump assembly.
  4. Detacch the fuel hoses from the pump, and drain the residual fuel from the hoses into a small metal catch can.
  5. Loosen the fuel pump mounting bolts, then separate the pump from the cylinder head.
  6. Remove the fuel pump actuating rod from the cylinder head, then remove and discard the old gasket.

FIG : Fig. 1: Cross-sectional view of the mechanical fuel pump used on all carbureted engines covered by this guide

image

Fig. 2: To remove the fuel pump, first disconnect and label all of the fuel lines from it

image

FIG : Fig. 3: After removing the fuel pump from the cylinder head, the fuel pump actuating rod can also be removed and inspected for damage

image

To install:

1. Clean the fuel pump-to-cylinder head gasket surfaces thoroughly.
  2. Apply a coat of clean engine oil to the actuating rod, then insert it into the cylinder head.
  3. Install the fuel pump, along with a new gasket, onto the cylinder head. Install and tighten the mounting bolts securely.
  4. Reattach the fuel hoses to the fuel pump, then slide the retaining clamps up the hoses. The clamps should be positioned as shown in the accompanying illustration. Tighten the clamp screw until secure.
  5. Clean any spilled fuel from the engine.

CAUTION If any fuel was spilled near the battery, or on the engine, allow the fuel fumes to dissipate before reconnecting the negative battery cable. Sparks and fuel vapor can cause fatal explosions.

1. Connect the negative battery cable.

TESTING

1. Remove the fuel tank cap to release any fuel tank vapor pressure. Reinstall the fuel tank cap.
  2. Using a screwdriver, loosen the fuel pump hose clamps, then slide the clamps down the hoses away from the pump assembly.
  3. Detacch the fuel pump-to-carburetor hose from the pump, and drain the residual fuel from the hose into a small metal catch can.
  4. Install a new piece of fuel line to the fuel pump. The new piece of fuel line should be long enough to reach 3 or 4 ft. (1m) away from the vehicle.
  5. Position the disconnected end of the new fuel hose into a metal catch container; a metal coffee can works well.
  6. Have an assistant sit inside the vehicle and, using the ignition switch, crank the engine for 8-12 seconds. Have your helper perform this 4 or 5 times, while you observe the disconnected end of the fuel hose. Fuel should emit from the fuel hose into the metal catch pan. If no fuel is emitted from the hose, inspect the fuel lines for obstructions and also check the fuel pump actuating rod. If there are no problems with the fuel lines or fuel actuating rod, install a known good fuel pump and retest. If the retest is works okay, the old fuel pump was faulty.
  7. Remove the new fuel pump hose.
  8. Reattach the original fuel hoses to the fuel pump, then slide the retaining clamps up the hoses. The clamps should be positioned as shown in the accompanying illustration. Tighten the clamp screw until secure.
  9. Clean any spilled fuel from the engine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is dumping fuel in carb. Are you thinkin its still need replacing? Maybe not enuff fuel?