Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
15218643

1985 porsche 944: fuel pump..12 volts dc to the proper terminals

Customer Question

I have the external fuel pump for my 1985 porche 944 on my workbench . When I apply 12 volts dc to the proper terminals the pump makes a click. Should it purr a little like a small motor? When in the vehicle with a gas line attached from the fuel tank to the pump and the other end of the pump open should it pump out gas? Also I noticed the line fromthe pump to the filter when disconnected takes air pressure to blow through it but pressure form your lungs will not go through the line?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I believe it should hum like a small motor. I also believe your fuel filter may be clogged. You might want to see if you can blow through both the filter and that hose.

I would imagine that the fuel pump most likely has bushings or bearings on each end of the armature. If they are worn, the armature will drag and cause it not to spin. Then again, if it has brushes in it if they are worn out then the voltage is not passing all the way through it. Is the any way you can get that fuel pump apart and also get it back together?

Mike S., Mechanic
Experience: 25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Is it a Bosch fuel pump? Here is the section from the manual on a 1982 Porsche fuel pump and it says the fuel pump is not serviceable, click here.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

The part number is XXXXX according to autozone for the fuel pump.

I searched Google and found that Amazon has it for $177.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0023QP9QY/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&storeAttribute=auto&submit.see-all-buying-options=see-all-buying-options&condition=new

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Pelican has the Bosch fuel pumps for $234 and $232 for the turbo and non-turbo.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/944M/POR_944M_FULinj_pg4.htm

944-608-102-04-M14

Fuel Pump, 944 Turbo, 944 (1983-88), 924S (1987-88), Each
Brand: Bosch Original Equipment Manufacturer at the time of the vehicle's assembly [More Info]

$234.75

944-608-102-06-M14

Fuel Pump, 944 (1988), 944S/S2 (1987-91), 968 (1992-95), Each

$232.50
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

What exactly is going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I have power to the fuel pump and one end of the fuel line open I am not getting fuel flow.
If I remove the fuel line form the vehicle and I blow from the fuel pump side to the output to filter side no air flow. If I connect a compressor air will flow through the tubing. Why?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if you hot wire the fuel pump, do you get fuel pressure or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
That fuel pump is bad for sure. Replace it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Part of my question is why the fuel line from the fuel pump will not pass air when I blow through it but it will when I put 30 or 40 lbs air pressure from a compressor.Why? is it a bad line or is this normal?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Where does the line in question go?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fuel line has been disconnected from both ends. One end went to the fuel pump output the other went to the filter. I just wonder why it is not an open line why I can;t blow through it. Has it got some kind of device on the l sahped coupling that requires a minimum amount of pressure to pass fluid through?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Ok so the pump cant be blown through which is obvious. So the pump gets power and wont pump fuel, right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Anthony read the question carefully the fuel line is not connected on either end I am trying to blow through a piece of fuel line.Has is got something inside to restrict the flow purposely oris something wrong with the line. ?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Where does this line start and stop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The line is normally from the output of the pump to the inline fuel filter. I am holding the 16 inch line in my hand with both ends open
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Where does the line start and end?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Its not incomplete. You never named the line and to and from where it goes...........
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not trying be hard to get along with I will explain to you in detail. The gas tank on the 1985 944 porche has a gas line from the tank to an inline fuel pump. The fuel pump has a fuel line from the pump output to the input of the inline filter. If I remove the fuel line from the output of the fuel pump to the input of the fuel filter.(this is about 16 inches long) This line I am lolding in my hand. It normally connects from the output of the fuel pump to the input of the inline fuel filter. I wanted to make sure that is was not clogged in any way. So I blew into the open line from the pump side and no air came to the other end which normally goes to the inline filter. If I put a 30 lb air pressure from a compressor it the air flows freely. I assume that this line must have some sort of orvice or restriction that is normal for this line. I just was confused Is the line stopped up or is this a normal condition?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Ok, the line goes to a pressure regulator. Thats why you cant blow thorough it.
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.