rlc532
rlc532, Technician
Experience:  12 years experience as professional automotive repair and service technician.
60580180

GMC K2500 Sierra 4x4 GMC truck 1988 4x4 sierra 2500 Gas

GMC truck 1988 4x4 sierra 2500 Gas standard A/C.. not sure enegine size
i tip over the battery..truck will not start...starter works..no bad fuses..lights and dash all work fine.
Category: Car
Expert:  rlc532 replied 3 years ago.
Does the engine crank?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
turn key and nothing, acts like no power to starter. safety switch on clutch is good. 2 wires to starter from battery and wire from soleniod on starter and goes into the firewall. but no fuse blown..is there a relay or could it have blown the computer unit(brain)?
Expert:  rlc532 replied 3 years ago.
At the starter solenoid there is a small wire this is the trigger wire (gives power to solenoid solenoid contacts close and power is given to starter). Remove the wire and with the key in the start position check for battery voltage on this small wire.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, it fires the starter when the key is turned on. There is no power to the starter and check under the dash with a light tester and have power everywhere. The clutch safety switch has power when I turn the key on. Trying to find where that solenoid wire comes in under the dash and follow it back.

If the clutch safety switch does not work then the starter will get no power. So some how that switch is in between the power and the starter, that is why it is a safety switch. So what is between that safety switch and the starter.

Expert:  rlc532 replied 3 years ago.
There is nothing between the switch and the starter. verify the switch is working with your test light if it fails replace the switch. If the switch is good check for a damaged wire in the harness or run a new wire if needed. Here is the wiring schematic.graphic
rlc532, Technician
Experience: 12 years experience as professional automotive repair and service technician.