SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology

Driver side headlight does not work on low beam..Bulb

Customer Question

Driver side headlight does not work on low beam. Bulb has been replaced. Socket tested good. Voltmeter does not show correct current in wiring going to socket on low or high beam.
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 2 years ago.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

Customer:

Hi, Danny

SNAPONTECH :

Hello

Customer:

My name is Keith.

SNAPONTECH :

So only the drivers low beam

Customer:

Yes.

SNAPONTECH :

what readings are you getting on the socket plugged in?

Customer:

Not terribly familiar with using voltmeter. Checking directly to battery - about 12.3 volts. Checking the wiring to the socket, can't get any consistent reading on low or high beam.

Customer:

Seems to be less than 1 volt.

Customer:

I cut the wires leading to the socket and checked the socket directly to the battery. Worked both low and high.

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

I believe the problem is with G300 on this diagram

Customer:

OK. So, what does G300 do?

Customer:

Where is it and how do you replace it?

SNAPONTECH :

The is the ground you will want to clean it using a wire brush and make sure the connection is good

SNAPONTECH :

I am trying to find a image of the location but you should be able to trace the black wire from the connector to the ground

SNAPONTECH :

Here is the location G300 on diagram

Full Size Image

Customer:

The wire bundle goes underneath the electrical box between the battery and the driver's side fender. How much do I have to remove in order to trace this wiring back to the ground?

Customer:

Is that showing a location up under the dash?

SNAPONTECH :

Yes left kick panel

SNAPONTECH :

The low and high connect here but in different spots I suspect there is a bad connection to this connection not giving a good ground

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Is this accessible, and identifiable by a novice, without removing the dash? Is there a part to be replaced, or just removed / cleaned / re-connected?

SNAPONTECH :

if this checks out then you will need to go to the power for the low beam and make sure it has a good connection to the actual fuse located #6 20 amp in the fuse junction block

SNAPONTECH :

this is accessible and will need to be removed cleaned and then reconnected With this diagram you should have no trouble locating the G300 ground and cleaning and reconnecting

Customer:

Meaning check the fuse, or check the connection to the fuse block?

SNAPONTECH :

Bad ground is the most common fault for this problem and yes

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you need anything else. Please take a moment to press the green ACCEPT button so I get credit for my work. Thanks in advance Danny

Customer:

I'm new to this. What if this doesn't solve the problem?

Customer:

And, did that "yes" mean that I have to remove the fuse block and check the connections?

SNAPONTECH :

You can come back and ask follow up free of charge

SNAPONTECH :

Yes

SNAPONTECH :

You will need to check that fuse if the fuse is good then you will need to check the connections

SNAPONTECH :

You can return to this question either by the link above or the one you have in your email every question sends a email with the link to the question which can be accessed after hitting accept

Customer:

Is there any trick to removing the fuse block. And if I need to ask follow up questions, what is your availability and how do I get back to you?

SNAPONTECH :

You should not have to remove it but if you do its pretty simple there are a few bolts and you should be able to access the connections and check them clean and fix if needed

SNAPONTECH :

I get back to you right away if you need further help

Customer:

Understood, and thanks. I won't be trying this until daylight as I don't have a lighted area to work on this.

Customer:

I assume I can re-connect by email?

SNAPONTECH :

No problem like I said just go to the link in your email

SNAPONTECH :

I will reply promptly anytime during the morning day until the late evening

Customer:

Thanks & good night.

SNAPONTECH :

Thank you.

Customer:

Accepting as soon as I copy and print this chat log.

SNAPONTECH :

No problem you will see once you accept and go back how it works you will see the whole chat and be able to reply at the bottom. Thanks so much and have a great evening! Danny

SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience: 2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Danny:

I cannot confirm that the answer you gave me during our chat is correct due to not being able to identify / locate the G300 block you pointed out. I did locate a ground block with multiple wires plugged into it that was connected to what looked like a single grounding bolt. I have a picture of the possible grounding block if you want to take a look.
I have done further checking with the multimeter. I get a reading of 12.3 VDC when reading from the ground terminal of the light socket to the positive terminal of the battery. That would seem to mean that the ground connection is good.
I also checked the #6 20A fuse in the fuse block beside the driver side fender, and it is not faulty. I don't see a way to check the power lead to the fuse terminal. The wires are taped in a harness and run beneath the fuse block.
Could this be a problem with a low-beam relay, or would that type of fault affect both headlights?
Ground seems to be good. But power must be the issue. The relay would affect both low beams there is not a separate operation for each light so it has to be with that circuit. I am sure if you tapped a hot to the power it would work as the ground is good then its a power issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, if it seems to be a power issue affecting only the driver side low beam, and the #6 fuse you identified is good, then where do I look from here?
The power comes from that fuse so it goes in to the button of that fuse panel then out to the socket so there is either a problem where it connects to that fuse or a break between there and the socket you will need to trace the fault in the wire . You should be able to check the violet colored wire and check for 12V if not the problem is within that circuit.I suspect the problem could be where is splices in for the fogs. Look at diagram

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, I think we have decided that the ground connection is good. If I trace the violet wire into the bottom of the fuse block and either repair it or replace it, this should rectify the problem of power supply to the low side of the headlight, correct? I presume there has to be a connection from the power supply to the switch, and from the switch to the headlight circuit, or does turning on the headlight switch energize the circuit from the fuse block to the light?
Thats correct it cannot be in the switch has to be the violet wire for sure...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All right. I'm going to remove the fuse block that is beside the battery and trace out the violet wire. Will advise as soon as possible about the results. Might be tomorrow before further feedback.

Thanks, Danny
Great
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, the fuse block has been removed and both the red and violet wires traced from the light socket to the connector going into the plugging port on the bottom of the fuse block. Both wires show continuity when tested. The black wire goes in the other direction through the fender well toward the fire wall - we have already determined continuity for the ground.
What now?
At the fuse box with the headlights on test the violet wire voltage and let me know what it reads
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't do that because the battery is removed, the fuse box is disconnected and removed. Had to do that in order to trace the wires. I did however check voltage from the battery through the connector to the end of the violet wire and the red wire. Reading was 12.3 VDC on both.
Ok you know that violet wire runs from there to the socket so if the other end is not the same then there is a break between there and the socket. It can be inside the wire itself and not noticeable to the eye.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have continuity between the connector block that goes into the fuse box and the end of the wire where it connects to the socket - both violet wire and red wire. I'm reading continuity and a full 12.3 volts when I jump current to it from the battery. There is only about 14" - 18" of wire between the fuse box and the socket and it is all visible - no breaks.
Ok we checked the ground this is good before you told me there was not a solid power to the socket. If this has 12 and the ground is good it has to work period. So either moving the box fixed the short and when you move it back the connection will go back to low voltage. Make sure everything is good and re install and try the light.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One quick question - how does the connectivity, the signal, get from the light switch on the dash to the lights themselves? Does the circuit from the light switch make it's connection into the fuse box to energize? I think it is still going to lose the connection when the dimmer switch selects to low beam. I'm not seeing the interaction between the dimmer switch and the lights when all the connection to the light itself comes from the fuse box.
From the multifunction switch this is a orange/white wire that goes to the relay then from the relay its red/yellow that goes to the fuse the the violet wire goes to the the socket. Get everything hooked back up and see if it works if not check the power again at the socket and tell me the readings. I am awaiting your response
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gotcha. Afraid that response won't be until tomorrow. Almost dark and, at any rate, I have a meeting to go to. It'll take a while to reconnect everything, but that will be my first project tomorrow. I'll send you an email immediately afterwards. Thanks for your continued assistance.
No problem I will be here!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, Danny. Everything is re-assembled and the headlight works on high beam and low beam. I really don't know what the heck I did other than take it apart and put it back together, but it works. I appreciate your help.

Keith
Most likely it was the connection at the fuse panel and moving it got it in good contact again. No problem let me know if you need anything else.

Danny
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do and best regards!
You as well..