Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2003 suzuki aerio: Has 135,000 miles.

Hello. I have a 2003 suzuki areio that has been very good. Has 135,000 miles. The problem is while driving more than 25 miles, the car makes a humming sound that comes from underneath the car. I press the brakes or slow the car down, and she usually stops the noise. When I turn into a parking spot, she hums a little also. Any ideas? Debbie
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello Debbie!

It sounds to me like you could have another bad wheel bearing or even a bearing going bad in the drive line causing your noise. SOmetimes really knobby tires will real aggressive tire tread on them can cause this noise too. If you have not changed your tires recently and the tire tread is not chopped, then I would not worry about the tires.. just something to keep in mind.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can a axel going bad start making a humming sound also. We checked the tires, for knobby tires, and the tires are good. The muffler is a little rusty but no holes yet. My brother lifted the car in the back and was checking underneath. The car is going to be inspected as it is due, but I do have a check engine light which the meter stated was a 420 problem as not working to maximum potential.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

The code p0420 is a converter code. Are you sure there is no exhaust leaks?