SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

1997 sidekick: engine compartment..misfires..oil pan, what(s)..kick

suzuki 1997 sidekick 4 banger
recently developed strange noice in engine compartment. checklight is flashing, code registers multi misfires, runs okay, advised not to drive until problem is determined. under motor noice seems to come from oil pan, what(s) up with my side kick? replaced the timing belt at 70,000 now has 110000 miles. passed CA SMOG test three days ago, lucky me, now I have the problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 5 years ago.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer

SNAPONTECH :

What does the noise sound like?

Customer:

some what like a vibration which seems to go away with increase RPMS. i PUT MY HEAD UNDER THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE AND IT SEEMED LIKE THE NOISE WAS MORE PRONOUNCED FROM THAT POSITION.

SNAPONTECH :

rattle vibration coming from the bottom of the engine

SNAPONTECH :

?

Customer:

THAT WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE WHEN STOP AT A LIGHT SOUND NOT NOTICEABLE WHEN MOVING. BEFORE I USE TO HEAR WHAT I THOUGHT WAS BAD BEARING IN THE LEFT FRONT, BUT THE NOISE COULD ONLY BE NOTICE FROM INSIDE THE CAR. ALSO IT SOUNDS LIKE AN EXHAUST LEAK ON THE LEFT SIDE THE ENGINE

SNAPONTECH :

Ok the first thing to do since its only a 4 cylinder its very quick while the engine is running remove one plug wire at a time and see if the noise gets any quieter if it doesnt then I suspect a rod bearing is the problem but this will help if so then pull the pan look for metal in the oil and bad bearing

SNAPONTECH :

Have you checked the oil?

Customer:

CHANGED OIL 2 DAYS AGO. WILL CHECK THE PLUGS. PULLED THE WIRES , JUST RAN POORLY. PLACED HEAD ON TOP OF ENGINE TO IDENTIFY THE EXACT SOUND. IT SOUNDS MORE LIKE A RATTLE . WHEN I PLACED MY EAR AND HEAD ON THE ENGINE I COULD HEAR A NOISE THAT SOUNDER LIKE LIFTERS AT THE FRONT OF THE MOTOR.

SNAPONTECH :

Lifters will make some noise but if its collapsed it will be loud normally will still run

SNAPONTECH :

So there has to be something major going on here I would also inspect the timing I know you said you replaced the timing belt could have slipped from the tensioner

Customer:

IS VEHICLE OKAY TO DRIVE SHORT DISTANCES FOR REPAIR . ARE THERE SOME TYPES OF ADJUSTMENTS REQUIRED ON THE SUZUKI ENGINES?

SNAPONTECH :

You should have no problem driving it a short distance for repair. If the timing jumped is what I am concerned of the tensioners can be weak

Customer:

THE PROBLEM YOU SUGGEST CAPABLE OF SETTING OFF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT? WILL IT ALSO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO MIST FIRE? THE CAR RUNS SMOOTH AS CADDY. I HOPE IT A SIMPLE FIX. THANK MUCH, ANY ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS EMAIL ME OR CALL(NNN) NNN-NNNN DON