Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2011 Canyon: new wiring..continuity..light, no blinkers..corroded

Made up new wiring connection to to my pop up tent camper.
Bought new truck and had to get longer 6 prong to 4 prong flat
connections. I was told to connect blue to blue and so on.
Checked continuity and all was well.
Connected six prong to my 2011 Canyon and then four prong to trailer. I only get
light above license plate to light, no blinkers.
Maybe corroded connection at trailer ? All connections new except at trailer.
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Neal and I am here to assist you.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

The most common problem with trailer lights is the ground, make sure it is grounded properly, even if the connection is tight, take it off and clean it.

You can also use a test light on the connector on the truck to make sure there is power there by turning on a blinker or the hazards and probing for power. Then you know for sure it is the trailer.

Check that out and let me know what you find.

Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Back from my trip. Left turn signal works and marker lights. I was told by local trailer supply that 2011 GMC trucks are wired different than my 2005 Chevrolet truck.

Truck connection is good with both blinkers working.

Can I set up 12 volt input to trailer connection to determine blinker and brake contacts?

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
I would do it with the trailer disconnected from the truck using a battery not connected to anything else to make sure you don't backfeed to your truck. This will allow you accurately determine which is which.
Neal, Mechanic