Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

2008 Accord: accelerating..a motor mount fail after only 45,000 miles

I am preparing to buy a 2008 Accord for my daughter, but while test-driving noticed a 'bump' or a 'thud' when accelerating from a stop. The Honda dealer said it was a motor mount and is going to replace it. Why would a motor mount fail after only 45,000 miles and is this a common failure?
Hello and Welcome to justanswer....

Im afraid its just not that unusual for such things to happen these days - even on cars that you really wouldn't expect on the face of things such as the Honda etc... because they are , overall, so reliable.

The problem is however, that the components ,such as you have here, are manufactured by certain manufacturers - namely Bosch, Hitachi etc etc - and these get fitted to all different makes / models - so whereas a generally well known reliable Honda is in fact, generally reliable, it is a subject to failures of certain components as any other - for the reason mentioned above.

Often the replacements are of better production gets better as time goes on -so once replaced, its often case closed.. but I have known and know of failures of such components at that mileage - and a lot less ! So , while you wouldn't really say its common especially with some units - types etc ... it does happen in all honesty. Thats why I personally always recommend for people to take out a good warranty when purchasing a replacement vehicle ..especially if its going to be used for high mileage as these components are usually very expensive on the modern vehicles...all ranges.. and its just a help if and when that does happen toward repair costs etc.

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Feel free to re contact me using the reply button if you need to - Meanwhile - - Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.