Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

reg..message of abs Fault, Traction Fault, airbag Fault and srs fault.

Customer Question

I have got a Range Rover P38 R reg and when the engine gets hot it is cutting out and showing a message of ABS Fault, Traction Fault, Airbag Fault and SRS fault.
I have to leave it for 20mins to cool down and it starts again untill it gets warm and then the engine cuts out again with the same warning messages.
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Neal and I am here to assist you.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

Are there any other warnings or messages? Have you checked the codes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

they are the only warning messages that display when it has cut out.

sometimes there is a message that says ABS Fault and Traction Fault MPH35 then 5seconds later the engine cuts out

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Normally I would say that you have a bad crank sensor, but with the other issues it sounds electrical.

I know this may sound odd but I have seen several batteries with bad cells test as good one time and then bad the next. Or continue testing good but actually be bad.

When I get issues like yours I replace the battery or at least swap another in temporarily to rule it out.

I once chased a problem for two days after batteries tested good and it turned out to be a battery issue. So I learned my lesson.

Let me know what you find and I will continue to work with you until we find the problem, and if I can't help further I will direct your question to other experts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the battery is only a year old and fires the engine up with no problem.

the engine only cuts out when it gets warm, and if i leave it 20mins it will fire up again and drive perfect untill it gets warm again and then it just cuts out sometimes with no warning.

as soon as it cuts out and i turn the key to start it again that is when i get the messages about ABS, Traction, Airbags and SRS

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I understand that it is somewhat new but that by no means rules it out. New batteries go bad all the time. And a battery with a intermittantly bad cell will start the truck just fine. I have seen cases like yours that were just the battery so I want to rule it out first. I am not just guessing, this is from experience.

If you do not agree I will gladly opt out and see if another expert can assist you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will give it a go and let you know if it works

Thank you

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Good luck, I think there is a fair chance that is it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have just tried swopping batteries with one off a friends car and just left it on the tick over and it has cut out again with the same messages
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Ok, after those messages come on, how long do they stay on?

When it cuts out do other things like the radio and lights go out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the messages stay on all the time, all the electrics work fine, the radio, heater and lights.

Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
I am going to opt out and see if another expert can help, this is going to complicated for me to diagnose online. Maybe another expert will be more helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'll the other expert get in touch with me or will i have to ask the question again ?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Your question is open and they will continue on this question or you can start over if you like.