Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara: snapped..while) & service engine light came

Hi. I have a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Sounds like a belt may have snapped (flapping noise for a while) & service engine light came on. Next day noise stopped & engine light went off. Was told timing chain needs replacement (remove engine & 3 days labor for $ 3,500 ). Does that sound correct? Thanks for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
This is a dealers price?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I took it to a private garage that repairs all foreign & domestic models. The garage was recommended to me as being honest & fair in price. He just called me with the $3,500 estimate. Thanks, Iris
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok the diagnosis is correct and the price is way to high . Labor is not 3 days it's a total of 14 hours . I would get a few more estimates should not pay more then 2000 to 2500. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. One more question. Since right now it seems to be running fine (no noise or engine light), how long could it stay that way without running into big problems? Just a rough guess. I know you can't say for sure.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
If there is no noise can be good for another year . Once the noise returns then get it fixed. Also since the noise is gone now have it checked at another shop. Could just be the timing chain tensioner and guides which is most likely the issue and will cost a lot less a 1000 the most. Hoped all this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.