nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

2006 Suzuki Forenza: intermittent..without warning..the steering wheel

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Suzuki Forenza with seemingly random and intermittent ignition issues. Several times and without warning, the key will not turn in the ignition, even when the steering wheel is not cocked. There don't seem to be any particular variables that are common to each occurrence. Have there been issues with the ignition modules or anti-theft programming that would cause this? Are there any cures or tips to get it unstuck?
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Do you get any warning lights or alarm lights when this happens?

Customer :

No, the key just won't turn in the ignition

Billy :

is it when you try to turn on, or off the vehicle?

Customer :

When trying to turn it on/start it. No issues when shutting it off.

Billy :

ok......one common problem, would be the park switch.....this gets broken...causing intermittent problems (usually problems are with removing the key...but it can also cause this....as it works both ways)...

Billy :

I will include the bulletin, all the details and the checking instructions, so you check and proceed accordingly:

Customer :

Ok, will you be emailing this to me?

Billy :

No....here it is...the link above....you can click it to open...or even right click and save target as to your computer.

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer :

I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks, Billy!

Billy :

You're quite welcome!

Billy :

Good luck!\

Customer :

I know you're offline right now, but when you get this could you comment on a couple of other possibilities? (BTW--I fully intended to accept your answer for credit to you once I get a chance to get to the bottom of this--the car is with my daughter at a camp 500 miles away from me and we're trying to tackle this long distance, so thanks for both your patience and help.) (1) ignition lock cylinder issue? (2) neutral safety switch adjust on top of transmission? or (3) vapor lock? All of these are guesses thrown at me by friends from church tonight based on their experiences with similar type problems. Thanks!

Billy :

Hello again,

Billy :

My apologies for the delay....thank you for your patience.....

Billy :

If key won't turn i ignition....then vapor lock will not cause this (in this case the key will turn, and engine will turn but not start...)

Billy :

So, it is either ignition lock....or the transmission shifter issue..............both of which can be looked at and confirmed, if you follow the details i included earlier.....

Billy :

You should click on the file, and check the details, and act accordingly....and if the problem persists...then it is an ignition lock issue.

Billy :

Before getting any further...i would advise that you spary some WD40 or equivalent inside ignition slot (where key goes...and see if that sorts issues......

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer :

Thanks, Billy. I should know what's up by tomorrow, as that is when a guy at the camp will be able to look into what you suggested. I'll be in touch with you either way. Thanks, again!

Billy :

Ok.....good luck!