nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

freelander 2 GU58WDV...done 35,000 miles with no real problems.

Customer Question

I have a freelander 2 GU58WDV. I has done 35,000 miles with no real problems. However I have recently detected a low level "rear transmission growl". I have the vehicle booked in for a road test with my dealel on 5th August but would be interested in your views/

regards Barry
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

Rear transmission.......this means that the noise is coming from the rear side.....center.....(as the sides could be related to wheel bearings.....)

Billy :

And in this case, i would first inspect the rear differential for any fluid leaks...and top up from the center overflow plug (on differential).....you should use 80w/90 fluid and keep pumping until fluid overflows the opening hole you're adding from...

Billy :

Other than that....the most likely culprit would be the differential itself, having faulty bearings, or even a bit worn pinion....(bearings are most likely).....in this case, the differential would require removing, and overhauling, and adjusting....or even replacing with a new one or even used from a scrapyard (if available).....

Billy :

If any vibration is also present, i would check the propeller shaft joints and the flex discs, if loose, worn etc...and these can be checked visually...

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy