VW Tech 1
VW Tech 1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE Heavy Truck Tech, VW factory trained, MINI factory trained,

2004 vw jetta gli: overheating..water pump..leaking..cooling fan

Customer Question

2004 vw jetta gli is overheating, water pump not leaking, the large cooling fan isn't coming on at all but smaller one does at 200degrees when running it is hot but driving it gets really hot, possible air in system (caused by water pump not circulating) how do i fix this?
Category: Car
Expert:  VW Tech 1 replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

First of all stop driving it!!! Have it towed to your favorite repair shop. It needs a water pump and a large cooling fan. Both fans should run together - both on low speed and then they should switch to high speed when needed. The temp gauge is not accurate either if the water pump is not flowing - there is no air in the system just no flow so the hot water / steam stays in the block and the engine will melt down if you continue to drive it. It is hotter than the gauge is indicating!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and how would I repair this, i need to know where the temp gauge is located - also when I said that possible air in system (caused by water pump not circulating) I meant that is seemed to have air in system possibly by water pump not circulating. Also I need to know how to repair this, my husband has worked on vehicles and just needs some guidance on this what you answered me is not going to work since previously I have recieved directions and diagrams and you included nothing.
Expert:  VW Tech 1 replied 5 years ago.
This is a very big job and if not done exactly right he could bend valves and do more damage. The water pump is driven off the timing belt and requires some special tools to do this. If he has not ever done this repair it is best left to an expert. This is a 9 on a 10 scale of difficulty. If the engine seems to have air in it - it is not air it is steam and that can be deadly to the engine. The temperature sender is located on the drivers side or end of the cylinder head and is green in color.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Like I said he has done mechanic work all his life, from rebuilding motors on vehicles, working on and maintain heavy equipment, running mechanical maintenance on plants, fabricating and much more you still are not giving me the info I am requesting like I have received in the past.
Expert:  VW Tech 1 replied 5 years ago.
This is a larger answer than I am going to give so I will opt out and let someone else help you.