Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

told by one mechanic that our 2000 land rover discovery..inspection

Customer Question

We have been told by one mechanic that our 2000 land rover discovery with 90,000 miles on it needs a new frame.....last safety inspection was in 2009 at 80,000 miles. Does this seem reasonable and or worthwhile?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Was the vehicle damaged or anything large run over since the last inspection?

Were you told why it needs a frame?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Pete,

From our understanding there was nothing run over and no vehicle damage. The vehicle needed a safety inspection and the place we took it to put it on a hoist and said there was too much rust on the frame and they thought that it was no good. The vehicle was on a hoist last week for most of the day and those mechanics who were replacing a wheel bearing didn't say anything at all about it.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
It can be normal for some rust to develop on the metal frame but shouldn't be enough at this age of this vehicle to where it would need replaced.

I would get another opinion to have just the frame checked over to see if another shop or dealer thinks it should be replaced.

It all depends on what has rusted and if anything major has rusted through.A second opinion would be best before doing anything else with the frame.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We would appreciate an opinion from you although we know this would be difficult....just because if we do get another opinion saying to replace the would be extremely you think that it would be worth it....the rest of the car is in great shape and we do not put a lot of miles on it per year. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
I apologize for the delay.

Its hard to say for sure from here if the frame should be replaced as I can't see all depends on the damage to the frame from the rust.

If you can take pictures of the spots that are bad and post them here using the paper clip icon then I could mnake a better decission but from what I have now its hard to say.

The best thing to do is to have it checked over by another shop or dealer to see what they think.

Thanks Pete!