Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2006 Vibe: 2wd, 1.8L vvt engine with a bit over 32,000 miles..cars

I have a 2006 Vibe, basic model 2WD, 1.8L VVT engine with a bit over 32,000 miles. I love the car...one of he best I've ever owned. At 67, through the years I've always worked on my own cars. I'm fairly savvy on their maintenance and do most myself.
It has developed a little problem and I've been working with the dealer to try and correct. It has started to idle rough. We've done several things, replaced the PCV valve, run a throttle and combustion chamber clean out kit through it and changed plugs. The dealer did a computer diagnostics and found nothing wrong. Still it idles rough at idle rpm. The dealer told me they have had a lot of complaints of rough idling since they started putting the 10% ethanol in all the gas. I am getting around 28 mpg with the little driving I do around my area. Admittedly I use some pretty cheap gas.

Since you're offering this free offer, I thought I'd run this by you guys. Would you offer your opinion and/or suggestions.

Thank you

Phil

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm Neal and I am here to assist you.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

Poor quality fuel which is a real problem is likely the problem based on you information. See if you can locate some non ethenol fuel in your area I would give it a try. If you have trouble finding some ask at the partss store or ask a lawn maintenance person. A lot of them use non ethenol fuel as the ethanol is hard on lawn equipment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just did on a previous page.
What? I don't understand your last comment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I'll try this again......I nor does any one around here know of any gas brand that they haven't put ethanol in. A TV report had a spot talking about how it was effecting mowers and small engine equipment. Any suggestions on additives other than injector cleaner which really doesn't do much. BTW I've also tried going up to middle premium gas for a dime a gal. more. That doesn't do much either. I guess I just gotta live with it. Are the newer cars tuned up to run better on this 10% crap?

Thanks

Phil
I have not found any additives that seem to help and some cars seem more susceptible than others. Of course I am not there so I cannot judge how bad it runs.