nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Lady wife left keys in her antara last night, all electrics dead

Lady wife left keys in her Antara last night, all electrics dead, unable to remove key or start vehicle.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

As you have a drained battery, the lock in the ignition barrel cannot be activated....thus the key cannot be removed.....

Billy :

The first thing to do now, would be charging the battery, or getting a jumpstart from another battery, or even replacing the battery......i would not advise battery replacement....as maybe after charging the battery works well.....

Billy :

This is the only thing you can do now....to energize the battery, so you can remove the key, or better yet, kstart the vehicle...and take it for a 20 minute spin....so the battery charges...and then take it from there.....

Customer:

I'll try using jump leads from my 26 year old renault express van

Billy :

That would work just fine.......be sure to connect the jumper cables on right spot (positive and negative)....i know this sounds stupid....but double checking would not hurt.....and the last connection to be hooked, needs to be done swiftly so you do not get sparks while hooking.....and make sure everything in the opel is off (lights etc....) before proceeding.

Customer:

I'm an electrical engineer!

Billy :

oh ok......i did not know that....and i needed to be sure i included the warnings......

Customer:

My wife who is an experienced car owner but getting a bit absent minded, thinks the computer has shut down against the car being stolen with keys in ignition

Billy :

No....it is most likely that the solenoid that actuates to enable key removal, is dead...as no power is getting to it.

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer:

It was a dead flat battery, key is out. Not enough power to turn engine over. But working on that problem. Thanks.