Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

1999 mazda 626: charging..ok...i drove around block and ran fine

1999 mazda 626, my boyfriend replaced alternator belt because battery wasnt charging and belt was bad...AZ said alternator was ok...i drove around block and ran fine. Shut off vehicle and it doesnt nothing. battery was charged up and i have lights and radio...any idea
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Who said alternator was ok? How did they test?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We took it to Autozone and they tested it. They told me I needed the belt because ribs were gone

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like battery isnt holding charge....If you have a voltmeter monitor voltage on battery while trying to start if it doesnt maintain 11v it is bad. If you have no voltmeter you can remove have have tested at autozone with a load tester. If thats good then it sounds like you have a problem with wiring to alternator, you can let me know if you run into questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he checked the battery and says its 12.4 volts....could it still be the alternator or you think wiring? my mom suggested connection to alternator
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Have battery load tested and let me know, if it passes I'll walk you through testing wiring. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks Dan ...will you be on tomorrow night? it's dark here now and it's late...i will check to see if you are on tomorrow night...thanks for the advise and i let you know what happens

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I'll be around. Let me know how it goes, thanks.