Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician

2002 grand am turns over but will not start

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Dan :

hello

Dan :

my name is Dan

Dan :

WHen you crank it over and turn the key back to run, is the thrft/security light on ot flashing?

Customer :

no

Dan :

WHen you turn the key on, does the service engine soon light come on?

Customer :

no

Dan :

The service engine soon light should come on when you turn the key to the run position. If not, the ignition switch might the the issue

Dan :

can you double check that light to see if it comes on

Customer :

sorry Dan it does come on

Dan :

ok have you checked for spark or fuel pressure, Can you hear the pump running when you first turn the key on?

Dan :

Have someone listen on the botton of the fuel tank while you turn the key on.

Dan :

the pump should run for 2 seconds once the key is turned on

Dan :

should hear a slight humm noise'

Dan :

you can tap on the bottom of the fuel tank while cranking to see if it will start then tap on it with the palm of hand

Customer :

okay i will have to try this it might be a few minutes before i get back to you

Dan :

Thats fine

Dan :

thats ok

Dan :

I'll switch this to a regular question session so it will notify me when you post back

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.