Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

1992 Isuzu Trooper: The check engine light comes..driven..20 miles

The check engine light comes on after I have driven my 1992 Isuzu Trooper for 20 miles.
Sometimes the engine will shut off when slowing down and the rpms drop below 1000. The engine will start again. I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep the rpms at 1000.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

You can also try resetting the car by removing both battery leads and clamping them together for 10 mins as this will reset everything so if the light re-appears then the fault is still there.