Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

SUZKI GRAND VITARIA: HOW TO CHANG A TIMING BELT ON A 2000 SUSKI

HOW TO CHANG A TIMING BELT ON A 2000 SUSKI GRAND VITARA
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

this should help you

thanks

Suzuki Vitara, Grand Vitara, XL7 2000-06

Removal & Installation

NOTE During these procedures, identify all components removed from the engine so that they may be reinstalled in their original positions. If discarding the old components so that new components can be installed, identifying the old items is not necessary.
1.6L 16-Valve Engine

The 1.6L 16-valve engine is known as an interference motor, because it is fabricated with such close tolerances between the pistons and valves that, if the timing belt is incorrectly positioned, jumps teeth on one of the sprockets or breaks, the valve and pistons will come into contact. This can cause severe internal engine damage.

WARNING Do not rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise or attempt to rotate the crankshaft by turning the camshaft sprocket.

1. Remove the timing belt cover.
  2. If the timing belt is not already marked with a directional arrow, use white paint, a grease pencil or correction fluid to do so.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket and the -V- mark on the timing belt inside cover are aligned, and the punch mark on the crankshaft sprocket is aligned with the mark on the engine.
    WARNING Do not rotate the crankshaft or camshaft once the timing belt is removed, because the valves and pistons can come into contact, which may cause internal engine damage.
  4. Disconnect one end of the tensioner spring. Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolt and stud, then, using your finger, press the tensioner plate up and remove the timing belt from the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets.
  5. Remove the timing belt tensioner, tensioner plate and spring from the engine.
  6. Install Suzuki tool 09917-68220, or equivalent, onto the camshaft sprocket to hold the camshaft from rotating. Loosen the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt, then pull the camshaft sprocket off of the end of the camshaft.
  7. Remove the crankshaft timing belt sprocket by loosening the center bolt, while preventing the crankshaft from rotating. To hold the crankshaft from turning, use Suzuki tool 09927-56010, or equivalent, or a large prybar inserted in the transmission housing slot and the flywheel teeth. Pull the sprocket off of the end of the crankshaft. Be sure to retain the crankshaft sprocket key and belt guide for assembly.
  8. If necessary, remove the timing belt inside cover from the cylinder head.

To install:

FIG : Camshaft timing marks-Suzuki Sidekick, Vitara and X-90 1.6L 16-valve engine

image

FIG : Align the punch mark with the arrow for proper timing belt installation-Suzuki Sidekick, Vitara and X-90 1.6L 16-valve engine

image

FIG : Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are aligned-Suzuki Sidekick, Vitara and X-90 1.6L 16-valve engine

image

• If necessary, install the timing belt inside cover.
  • Slide the timing belt guide on the crankshaft so that the concave side faces the oil pump, then install the sprocket key in the groove in the crankshaft.
  • Slide the pulley onto the crankshaft, and install the center retaining bolt. Tighten the center bolt to 80 ft. lbs. (110 Nm). To hold the crankshaft from turning, use Suzuki tool 09927-56010, or equivalent, or a large prybar inserted in the transmission housing slot and the flywheel teeth.
  • Install the timing belt camshaft sprocket, ensuring that the slot in the sprocket engages the camshaft (pulley) pin; this ensures that the sprocket is properly positioned on the end of the camshaft. Secure the camshaft with the holding tool used during removal, then tighten the sprocket bolt to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
  • Assemble the timing belt tensioner plate and the tensioner, making sure that the lug of the tensioner plate engages the tensioner.
    WARNING If any binding is felt when adjusting the timing belt tension by turning the crankshaft, STOP turning the engine, because the pistons may be hitting the valves.
  • Install the timing belt tensioner, tensioner plate and spring on the engine. Tighten the mounting bolt and stud only finger-tight at this time. Ensure that when the tensioner is moved in a counterclockwise direction, the tensioner moves in the same direction. If the tensioner does not move, remove it and the tensioner plate to reassemble them properly.
  • Loosen all rocker arm valve lash locknuts and adjusting screws. This will permit movement of the camshaft without any rocker arm associated drag, which is essential for proper timing belt tensioning. If the camshaft does not rotate freely (free of rocker arm drag), the belt will not be properly tensioned.
  • Rotate the camshaft sprocket clockwise until the timing mark on the sprocket and the -V- mark on the timing belt inside cover are aligned.
  • Using a wrench, or socket and breaker bar, on the crankshaft sprocket center bolt, turn the crankshaft clockwise until the punch mark on the sprocket is aligned with the arrow mark on the oil pump.
  • With the camshaft and crankshaft marks properly aligned, push the tensioner up with your finger and install the timing belt on the 2 sprockets, ensuring that the drive side of the belt is free of all slack. Release your finger from the tensioner. Be sure to install the timing belt so that the directional arrow is pointing in the appropriate direction.
    NOTE In this position, the No. 4 cylinder is at Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke.
  • Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 2 full revolutions, then tighten the tensioner stud to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm). Then, tighten the tensioner bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
  • Ensure that all 4 timing marks are still aligned as before; if they are not, remove the timing belt, and install and tension it again.
  • Install the timing belt cover and all related components.
  • Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
    Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    This is a 2.5 V6 engine
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    how to chang the timing belt on a 2.5 v6 engine on the suski grand vitara

ok

this don't have a belt..it has chains,and shouldn't need to be replaced

thanks

2.5L, 2.7L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
    2. Drain the cooling system.
    3. Drain the engine oil.
    4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Intake manifold Ignition coils Valve covers Accessory drive belts Cooling fan and shroud Water pump pulley Radiator Power steering pump and brackets Oil pan and pickup tube Crankshaft pulley Front crankshaft seal Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor Front cover
    5. Rotate the crankshaft so that the timing marks are aligned as shown.
      WARNING Do not allow the crankshaft or camshafts to rotate once the timing chains have been removed. Valve or piston damage could result.
    6. FIG : Timing chain alignment marks-2.5L engine

image

7. Remove or disconnect the following:

Left bank No. 2 timing chain tensioner Left bank intake and exhaust camshaft sprockets with the No. 2 timing chain No. 1 timing chain guides No. 1 timing chain tensioner Center idler sprocket and the No. 1 timing chain Right bank No. 1 timing chain sprocket
    8. The right bank No. 2 timing chain is removed with the intake and exhaust camshafts.
    9. To install:

1. Prepare the timing chain tensioners for installation by releasing the latches, compressing the tensioner piston fully into the bore and installing retaining pins.
      2. Align the timing chain sprocket matchmarks and colored chain links as shown during assembly.
      3. FIG : Right bank camshaft timing marks-2.5L engine

image

4. : No. 1 timing chain alignment-2.5L engine

image

5. FIG : Left bank camshaft alignment-2.5L engine

image

6. FIG : Align the left bank No. 2 chain silver links-2.5L engine

image

FIG : Align the left bank No. 2 chain silver links-2.5L engine

image

7. Install or connect the following:

Right bank intake and exhaust camshafts with the No. 2 timing chain Right bank No. 1 timing chain sprocket. Tighten the bolt to 58 ft. lbs. (80 Nm). Center idler sprocket and the No. 1 timing chain. Tighten the fastener to 32 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). No. 1 timing chain tensioner and guides. Tighten the bolts to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm). Left bank intake and exhaust camshaft sprockets with the No. 2 timing chain. Tighten the bolts to 57 ft. lbs. (80 Nm). Left bank No. 2 timing chain tensioner. Tighten the bolts to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
      8. Remove the retaining pins from the timing chain tensioners.
      9. Rotate the crankshaft two complete turns and check that the timing marks align.
      10. Install or connect the following:

Front cover. Tighten the bolts to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm). CKP sensor Front crankshaft seal Crankshaft pulley. Tighten the bolt to 109 ft. lbs. (148 Nm). Oil pan and pickup tube Power steering pump and brackets Radiator Water pump pulley Cooling fan and shroud Accessory drive belts Valve covers Ignition coils Intake manifold Negative battery cable
      11. Fill the crankcase to the correct level.
      12. Fill the cooling system.
      13. Start the engine and check for leaks.

14. Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP