Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2000 Isuzu Trooper: started making a loud knocking noise

I bought a 2000 Isuzu Trooper about 2 yrs ago. The oil gauge has never really worked so I ck oil often. A friend was borrowing it last summer and it started making a loud knocking noise. It never stopped going but still he had it towed and took full resp for having it repaired. A "friend" of his did the work, rebuilt the engine or so he said, kept it 5 months and threw it back in vehicle in couple of hrs and delivered it to me..friend pd $1,700.00. Car never drove right and always had a ticking/clanking noise, wouldnt pass inspection because he failed to plug many sensors back together...really 1/2 ass job on rebuild. Was driving car on frwy last wk and it started making a loud loud clanking noise..pulled off .. I threw a rod (again) per the mobile will still go just very loud. Mobile mechanic said it has plenty of oil in why did it throw a rod? I dont understand...the mobile mechanic offered me 300$ for it..I almost cried. I am a single woman and know little to nothing about cars and I assume I am an easy target
what to do?

Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

I'm very sorry you are having so many problems. From your info the rebuild was not done right, besides not plugging things back in, there is no way it could be rebuilt correctly for $1700, that would not cover machine work and parts. So by not doing it right you lost a rod bearing which then caused the rod to fail. That engine is now junk.

I know this is not what you want to hear but you should cut your losses on that trooper. Your only reasonable option if you really want to keep it is to have a good used engine installed.

Let me know what you think and I will answer any more questions if I can.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I knew that would be the answer but wanted it confirmed. What is the best way to get rid of car and get a little something out of it? It was garage kept and except for engine it is in excellent condition both body and interior. Should I list it on craigslist or just call a junk yard to come get it?

Definately do craigs list, you will get more that way. I would start at about $800 and get at least $600. The most likely buyer will be someone who will replace the ngine themselves and therefore make it more economical.

You might consider ebay also if that does'nt work.

The junkyard will only give you about $300, and if it is that nice you can do better.