joe
joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certifed technician foreign and domestic
14074217

2000 eclipse gt: egr valve..the engine light came on again..same code

i replaced the egr valve and silonoid on a 2000 eclipse gt but the engine light came on again with the same code p0400
Category: Car
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
is that exhaust gas restriction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure how would I know
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
P0400 – Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction
P0401 – Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

ok, there is a passage way that comes from the exhaust manifold into the intake manifold and then it goes into the combustion chamber so that it can be re burned thus making less emissions. your gonna need to take the intake manifold off, and on the side of the intake manifold where the egr is located, you will see a little port that will need to be cleaned out, you will see that it will be clogged with carbon. that will need to be cleaned and that check engine light will immediately go off. whether it comes back on or not will determine how well you cleaned the port.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i was also told that a Powertrain control module could gone bad what are the odds that it could happen i belive thats the ECU right?
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
yes that is the ecu, but that is far fetched, last resort type of situation, people always seem to blame everything on the pcm/ecu. before checking anything else, then they find that they just made an expensive repair for no reason, before we even go there, your problem is most likely built up carbon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there anyway to clean it without removing the intake
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
no,there isn't , sorry. its just the intake manifold, and you usually don't even have to change the gaskets or anything
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Alright so its a hole in the bottom of the intake how do I clean it with pressured air or somekind of cleaner
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
a cleaner such as brake kleen or intake manifold/throttle body cleaner, if you can find something skinny so that you can poke it in and out. a drill bit is recommended sometimes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so after i do that everything should be good right? if for some reason it dosent work what will be the next step
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
take it back apart and clean it again or to avoid that ,clean it good the first time, that should fix the problem, but in the event that it doesn't, then you will need your ecu checked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where can i have that checked the ECU?
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
you will need to goto any mitsubishi dealer, or any garage for that matter, goto a garage first ,as they are much cheaper
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And tell them that I want them to run a diagnostic on the ecu
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
that is correct
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I'm going take the intake and go from there
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
the best and least expensive move. Please press the accept button, as I wont be paid for my time if you dont\
thanx
joe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i took the intake off i cant find the hole that im supposed to clean im cleaning all the lines is there something i should do before putting it back
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
ok, the hole should be located on the left or right edge of the intake and it will mate with a matching hole on the block. if this engine does not have it then clean the the intake thoroughly, another thing, locate the egr and look to see if there is a recirculation hole/passage for the exhaust
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
you said you replaced the egr , and solenoid, so I suggest that the wiring /harnass is checked also. make sure your getting power. If you've done any modifications, you will need to backtrack and make sure everything is kosher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I'm going to check everything
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im going to clean everything in the intake nd lines I think I found the hole so I just cleaned all of them I hope that works
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i put everything back i replaced the spark plugs distributor cap and the ignition rotor while i was at it put everything back together started the car when i accelerated it died and now it wont start
Expert:  joe replied 3 years ago.
ok that is in the distributor and rotor, I am gonna have to refer you to a strictly mitsubishi eclipse expert. this is going all over the place now. hold tight
joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase certifed technician foreign and domestic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok cool I already replaced the crankshaft position sensor the distributor cap the rotor that goes inside spark plugs nd I'm not getting a spark at all