Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

The gearbox and transfer case replaced..muffler..blowing

i have a '99 daihatsu terios. recently had the gearbox and transfer case replaced with a second hand one. now the muffler is blowing out a white smokeand it smells like when your engine over heats. the engine does not overheat
Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

It sounds like you have a minor head gasket leak. I don't know if the sell it in Australia but the is a product called Blue Devil that I have had great success with in cases like yours. I almost always works and seems to be a long term fix that will prevent you from needing to replace the head gasket which is costly.

Here is a link to their page.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the first transfer box/gearbox leaked all its oil and the mechanic put in a new seal in the front driveshaft/tailshaft, if that makes sense?? could there be oil in there or do you still think it might be a leaking head gasket?
Nothing he did there should be causing the issue you have now. It really sounds like the head gasket.