SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

96 dodge: dually..cummins diesel..fuse box..wires under the hood

i have a 96 dodge dually with a cummins diesel/ i keep blowing the engine fuse in the fuse box/ i dont know what that wire runs under the hood/ ive tried to trace wires under the hood but have had no luck/cant afford to hire machanic/do all my own work
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 3 years ago.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer

Customer:

still waiting for answer

SNAPONTECH :

So I am trying to find the exact fuse is it the one thats in this diagram called F4

Full Size Image

Customer:

still waiting for an answer

SNAPONTECH :

Did you get my question

Customer:

yes

SNAPONTECH :

one moment

Customer:

its under just the number 9

SNAPONTECH :

30amp right

Customer:

no 10 amp

SNAPONTECH :

ok found it

SNAPONTECH :

This runs pretty much everything does it blow right away?

Customer:

yes

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

Customer:

no help please more info

SNAPONTECH :

There has to be a short to ground

SNAPONTECH :

That diagram shows the #9 and what wires come from it

Customer:

are you saying theres a short in one of the gronds

SNAPONTECH :

You will have to trace them down as you can see it runs to the automatic shutdown relay the fuel pump relay and goes into a splice that runs to the pcm and everything

SNAPONTECH :

I suspect the short to be somewhere close the wire coming from the fuse box is black you are going to have to track down the wire its a hot wire touching ground

SNAPONTECH :

So its open and causing short to ground

Customer:

thats something ive already been doing

SNAPONTECH :

Hang on I am looking further into the diagram

SNAPONTECH :
The fuel shut off solenoid has a pull-in winding which draws more current and has more power to pull the solenoid up. Once it is up, it can and should be held in place by the hold-in winding, which draws less current. When the key is moved from the crank to the run position, the pull-in winding loses power but the hold-in winding has key ON power. When the key is shut off, the hold-in winding loses power and the heavy spring pushes the solenoid out causing the engine to shut off. This will cause the Fuse # XXXXX to blow So replace the fuel shut down solenoid this should fix the problem with the fuse
Customer:

where is that located

SNAPONTECH :

Full Size Image

SNAPONTECH :

That should so the trick

SNAPONTECH :

Thats a photo of the relay that is not the issue sorry its the solenoid itself

Customer:

wheres the solonoid

SNAPONTECH :

There are the steps to replace its located by the upper intake manifold tube there

SNAPONTECH :

This is a known issue in the Cummings they get bad and blow that fuse so get that replaced ensure all the wiring is good at the solenoid as well. This will fix your problems

Customer:

are you sure this is the problem

SNAPONTECH :

I am this is a known issue with this truck. You can disconnect the unit make sure all the wires are not touching then see if it blows the fuse this will ensure 100% this is the problem before replacing it

SNAPONTECH :

Please hit accept if I have assisted you. If you need me further its free to follow up through my questions at the top. Thanks Danny

Customer:

where would i find that part

SNAPONTECH :

Ebay has a replacment

SNAPONTECH :

Here is a video of the install

SNAPONTECH :

This is a extremely popular issue and I am sure this is the problem your having

Customer:

if I go ahead and accept this answer but it turns out this is not the problem then will it cost me again to talk to you about this same topic?

SNAPONTECH :

No you can get a hold of me free on this in the future under my questions at the top

SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience: 2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology