Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

brakes..pads look fine even the rotors look..look good..front rotors

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Land Rover DII with 120,000 miles. I replaced the brakes and rotors all the way around and now after 15,000 miles, I have pulsating. The front and back pads look fine even the rotors look good but most experts say it's warped front rotors. The rotors and pads came for AutoZone. I'm sure they are aftermarket which some people are saying could be the problem. Calibers seem to be moving freely and tires are new and balanced. My DII looks like new, runs like new EXCEPT for these pulsating brakes. I'm sure it's not the ABS.

How do I fix this problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

It is very common for new rotors the warp a little after a short period of time. All you need to do is remove them and take them to the machine shop and have them turned. They will take just enough off to straiten them up.

This is the only thing it can be and is very common. It does not mean the new rotors are bad it is just that new steel changes some after some heat cycles. They should not do this to you again unless they get very hot from heavy braking.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Neal,

I will have them cut and "accept answer" after I put them back on. I hope this works. My dealer says only Land Rover rotors will solve the problem.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I will continue to assist even after you accept. If too much time goes by without an accept the answer will close.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
This will fix the problem, just like they worked the first 15k miles and now that they are seasoned they will stay strait.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
I see you haven't accepted yet but also have not responded? Are there any more questions? I will continue to assist you with your issue even after you accept.

Thanks,
Neal
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Neal,

I can't find anyone in the Milwaukee, WI area that will cut rotors. They all recommend buying new rotors. I heard maybe midas cut rotors. I'll keep you in the loop.

Bruce
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
OK, look up machine shops in the phone book. they can do it for you.