Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2005 Suzuki Aerio SX: accelerate..the check engine light comes on

I have an automatic 2005 Suzuki Aerio SX. Intermittently the car will not accelerate from a stop, and the check engine light comes on. The code says there's a problem with the Shift Solenoid, but when I turn off the car and restart it, it drives fine and the light goes off after a little while. I've had it checked by both a Suzuki dealer repair shop & a local "foriegn car" mom & pop repair place. Neither can seem to find a problem. Since this is an intermitent issue, should I just wait until it becomes a more common problem, try replaicing the Solenoid(s?), or something else?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

What happens is when the solenoid is intermittent like that it will test good unless it is acting up at that moment. I would just go ahead and replace the solenoid and be done with it as it will just get worse.
Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the advice. Since the Suzuki Aerio SX is such a rare car (especially here in GA it seems), do you happen to know if the solenoid is a relatively easy repair? Do you know if there are after market solenoids that fit, or if I have to have a Suzuki part? Both dealer & local repair shop have seemed reluctant to replace since they can't confirm the issue. I have to say though, that not being to eccelerate from a stop at random times has me kinda freaked out.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
They do not want to do a repair and it not fix the problem and lose a customer or have you unhappy. If they make a repair based only on your info you should assure them that you understand it is your decision and that you won't hold it against them.

The part is about $120 and labor is 1.7 hours as they have to pull the side cover off the trans. I would only use the dealer part.
Neal, Mechanic