Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

AIRCON..SAVE FUEL AND OPEN A CAR WINDOW TO LET COOL AIR INSIDE THE CAR

Customer Question

IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO TURN OFF YOUR AIRCON WHEN DRIVING TO SAVE FUEL AND OPEN A CAR WINDOW TO LET COOL AIR INSIDE THE CAR
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Actually- this was an episode of MythBusters. It was actually proven that is more efficient to drive with the A/C on, windows up, rather than drive with the windows down. The reason why is air drag. With the windows down, the air coming into the cabin at speeds was enough to make the engine have to run a bit harder and use more fuel to compensate. With the windows up and AC on, the natural areodynamics of the vehicle took over, and the engine worked less and used less fuel.

What is more fuel efficient: Driving with the windows down or driving with the air conditioning on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRt20C6NL-c