Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

1995 Trooper S: blows..the cruise control, power windows..rear window

my 1995 Trooper S repeatedly blows the 10-amp fuse that supplies power to the cruise control, power windows, side mirror and rear window defogger. I learned this circuit (white wire with blue stripe) controls eleven functions in the car. How do I track down the short in the circuit?
Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

Your best bet is to start unplugging everything that is controlled through that circuit and see if it still blows. If not start plugging them in one by one until you find the cause. It could be something like a bad window motor so rule all of those things out first by disconnecting them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other. Neal's answer suggests unplugging things from the circuit: How does one unplug: cruise control, mirror defogger, clutch indicator, et cetera? I don't sense that your mechanic is taking into account I am not familiar with the route and locations of the circuit I described nor the other accessories it serves.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tell me the location/route where the relevant wire (white/blue stripe) links the eleven functions. The rear defogger was an obvious spade connector. For the 10 others I'll need you to tell me where to look for the connections. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I have not received a reply to my followup of Neal's original effort to satisfy my question. Neal suggested "unplugging" everything on the circuit to find the fault. The connections to the circuit are not obvious to the layman. I need him to tell me where to look for each "connection" to the circuit (clutch, cruise-control, mirror heaters, etc.) The window regulators work fine. The fuse blows after a few minutes whether or not the windows are being operated. All it takes is several minutes driving the car, even when NOT operating cruise, windows, heaters, etc.

Hi, I'm Dj and I can give you limited help on this.

First off, take that circuit breaker out before you burn the car to the ground. That circuit was designed for a 10 amp fuse, which means the circuit should only be drawing about 5 amps. You have a hard short to ground and the only result with that circuit breaker is more damage.

Do you have a list of the items that are on the circuit?

What is the name on the fuse that is blowing?

Are there any accessories added to the car, radio, lights, radar, anything like that?

Has the vehicle been in an accident in the past couple of years?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Dj

Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.