Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 Years reparing all types of vechiles
5784781

R12: compressor..It had not run for maybe 7 years

Customer Question

The old system had a York compressor (R12) with receiver and a drier. It had not run for maybe 7 years. I replaced the York with a SandenSD7H15HD and a new drier but no receiver. A guy came out and pressure tested the new system , evaluated it and charged it with 134A. We turned it on and the pressure shot up to 500 psi very shortly, so we turned off the system. I came back to the system a few days later and the pressure on low and high was 30psi. I started the system again and the high side shot up to 500 again I turned it off and the high pressure went down to 100psi pretty fast. So I put a receiver in the system thinking that might help. In putting it in I opened a line and it seemed that a lot of oil came out with the refrigerant. So before I recharge again to see if the receiver helps should I add more oil with the new 134a and any comments on anything else I should do? I am assuming that it should not have been a problem using a Sanden compressor.
Category: Car
Expert:  Don Knight replied 5 years ago.

Donald Knight :

It sounds like you have a couple of problems.First I think you have to much oil in the system and the next thing I would check is the condensor.If the pressure shoots up that quick you may have a blockage in the condensor,it could also be blocked with to much oil.You did not mention just what you are putting this system on and that would be helpfull.

Customer:

It is a boat refrigeration system with a cold plate the Old York worked just fine with it. How could to much oil get in the system? the Sanden compressor came with oil and the tech put standard 134a gasin and the receiver was new. aAlot of oil came out when I opened the system after he charged it as noted in my last email. So I have evacuated it after putting in the new receiver should I just charge it again and see what happens?? or what

Donald Knight :

At this point I would drain the condensor and make sure that is does not have any more than an ounce of oil in it.You could also try a flush,with the pressure that high it would seem that there is a restreiction some where and it is usually in the condensor.

Customer:

if I drain it do I need to put more oil back in or would the new gas be enough? by the way the new gas 134a has syntheic oil is that ok

Donald Knight :

That is ok just make sure you have a little oil in the condensor.