Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

I just received an ecu from the dealer can i just plug this

i just received an ecu from the dealer can i just plug this in and start it up? or do i need to activate it.can i get the equipment to activate?Approx how much and equip name
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Most ECU's now have to be setup and or programmed by a dealer using their computer and scan tool connected to the vehicle.

Depending on what ECU you are replacing this may have to be done by the dealer before it will operate properly in the vehicle.

The best way to find out for sure is to contact the dealer and ask them on the ECU you were given to see if it needs any programming or setup done with their tools.

You can also plug it in and try it,if the ECU and vehicle operate normally with it plugged in then you should be o.k.

The dealer will usually charge about an hours labor to setup and program the ecu if it is needed.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
about how much is the equipment to activate
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
If it is a dealer only program to activate then only a dealer will have access to the equipment to do this programming and set up as most after market shops or tools wont be able to do this.Usually the vehicle has to be connected to a dealer computer on line to download the programming into the vehicles ecu.

Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.