Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Isuzu Rodeo: Liter engine..wheel drive..the cruise..lost power

I have a `96 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 Liter engine,XXXXX280,000 miles. I was driving yesterday with the cruise on and the vehicle lost power and basically just shut off. I pulled over and it wouldn`t start. I looked under the hood and saw nothing noticeably wrong (belts and hoses fine, no smoking or anything) went back and it started right up (this all took less than five minutes) and ran perfectly for the rest of the trip and used the cruise control (about five hours). Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

In that situation I would suspect the crank position sensor or the cam position sensor. They are the most common cause in that vehicle of an intermittent failure like that. You should get the codes checked even if there is no check engine light. There may be a pending code stored that may shed more light. Most parts stores will check your codes for free.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If one of those sensors is the problem, what is the fix? Also, I assume at some point this will happen more often until I`m dead on the road, correct?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
When those are intermittent like that there is no way to test them when they are working and they cost a little too much to just swap out without better info. As much as I hate to say it you will really need see if it even happens again.

The crank position sensor which is the most likely culprit is about $200 and the cam position sensor is $40