Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

reasonable rate to replace a heater core in an infiniti i30 2000?

What is a reasonable rate to replace a heater core in an Infinti I30 2000?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. Is the core leaking?

Customer: No there was no heat last winter and I want to replace before fall starts
Tracer :

The case would not have to be changed but core only. The problem is location. the dash has to be removed to get the case holding core. Book time is 6.6 hours for the job. Say $150+/- for the core? Misc materials, cooalnt etc? if shop rate is $100 per hour, you can then be in the $800 mark for the job. It is a lot of labor

Customer: Thanks that was my guess.
Tracer :

You need to grab both heater hoses under hood at firewall with engine warmed up. If one is cooler than other? then core is most likely problem,

Tracer :

IF? BOTh hoses are hot? then you could have blend door problem, control panel problem or other. this is harder to diagnose

Customer: If there is heat at highway speed,but not idling in city traffic. Would you suspect the core
Tracer :

Not right at first. This could be due to some air trapped in system or weak thermostat

Tracer :

Still could be core if it is partially blocked inside.This is why the feeling of the hoses test first

Customer: How do you test the thermostat?
Tracer :

You really cant. The car is what, near 12 yrs old. It may be weak. Sure easier for the stat then the core

Tracer :

Should do stat for maintenance as well.

Customer: I had the radiator replace 24 months ago due to rust blockage
Tracer :

Then yes,, the core could have picked some up as well. Still would swap out a $12 stat first before spending lots of $:(

Customer: Ok will start with the thermostat first then, no success, move to core replacement. Thanks