Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2003 isuzu rodeo: stalls..acceleration let it fine mechanics

Customer Question

My 2003 isuzu rodeo stalls when coming to stop plus check egine light and reduced powercomes and can't get any acceleration let it sit over night lights will bot and will run fine mechanics can't find problem because lights are not on and won't show code
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is AMEDEE and I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

It sounds to me like your throttle body may be carboned up and might just need to be cleaned! This is very common! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body, throttle bore and throttle plate with some throttle body and /or intake cleaner and a small wire brush. A toothbrush will work good for this as well.

You can clean the throttle body yourself. Just remove the air intake snorkel to gain access to the throttle plate, turn the key on and have someone put the gas pedal to the floor. This will open the throttle up so you can clean it. You can then use some throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush to do this. Dont forget to clean the throttle bore as wheel as the edges on the throttle plate on either side. Also, I could be wrong, but on some of these throttle body's, you can ruin them by pushing the throttle plate with your finger.. so just be careful. If the throttle plate does not open up all of the way with the key on and gas pedal to the floor, then gently try to open it up with the key in the off position. This will ensure that the electronic motor is not being energized.

Just be sure that the there are absolutely no air or vacuum leaks at all under the hood as it will cause the idle to surge like you are describing.

Possible Causes

Check for air leaks in the Air Induction system (e.g., in the intake manifold)
Check for air leaks in the PCV system and in its related hoses and/or valve
Idle air inlet passage or throttle bore is dirty or full of deposits
Throttle plate, throttle shaft or linkage is damaged or sticking
Throttle body has failed
MAF sensor is dirty, "skewed" or installed improperly
TP sensor is out-of-range or "skewed" high
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm new using the Internet I'm sorry but u really didn't help because everything you described has already been tried that's what's so frustrating ihave car in shop different places for the last 5months just went and got it yesterday with still no answer today drove fine no one can figure it out I don't no how long it will run this time so honestly u didn't help sorry so I feel like I threw Money out window
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay!

I am sorry you feel that way. Did you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The throttle body was cleaned back in March ran for awhile then 3/8 replaced air flow sensor didn't even make it home before it started dying when slowing to stop or turn a corner took it back also the reduced power light would come on and wouldnt have any power when pressing on accelerator set over weekend and when took it back reduced power light was off and check engine light was off I could always tell when it was going to act up the rpm needle would start bouncing around then he replaced accelerator position sensor drove about three days did everything again he had it forever when I checked with him he said he tested wiring every where nothing so finally just went and got it drove fine for1week going home went down hill check engine light came on and reduced power came on I had it floor boarded trying to get any acceleration to make it up hill there was not any power so I just made it home with the momentum of car took 10 min to coast 10 blocks it sat till Monday morning when I got in it to go to mechanic a new one check engine light went out and reduced power light too drove fine to mechanic he had it for 3weeks couldn't get it to die got on Internet he checkedspeedomiter cable than runs to transmission he checked main wiring bundle from engine to computer module 8"x8""metal box he checked all that was ok my car only has 42,000 miles on it 2003rodeo I planned on this being last car I can only work three days because of health problems got to figure this out back in 2010 company recalled fuel pump which as far as o know was replaced I even tried putting stuff that dries out if water in gastank last mechanic had it three weeks couldn't find anything I ve been driving 2 days nothing yet I have a question about battery where cables attach it gets that white stuff on it never had one do it as often as this one been cleaned off at every mechanic so now what I have to keep this car I hope I gave you information so you get the big picture I live in small town and am at that age you drive very slow all miles are town driving basically I only have to drive 3miles a day to work.most of the time I hardly ever get over 45 miles per hour which I do no that's worse than highway miles I have tried getting out on highway occasionally which so far it has never acted up on highway iat higher speeds! I think I have given u as much as I know hope you can figure this out
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information!

So right now there is no codes in the computer..correct?

The reduced power light is not on... but the engine still stalls..correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No lights on now never shows a code because time I get it to mechanic lights r out and won't show a code only driven maybe 10 miles dice I went and got my car I'm tired of leaving car weeks at a time because it won't act up for them I can't tell at this time how long it will run before acting up up! But every mechanic I took it to could never get a code reading
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
What size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. these engines have a problem with the intake manifold gaskets. THey will leak engine vacuum causing a stalling condition at idle when coming to a stop.

In addition, be sure that the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking fuel into the vacuum line.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check with mechanic and get back to you
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
SOunds good!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing you recommended helped sorry I know u tried but I don't feel like I wasted my money sorry
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay!

Do you still have the same problem or did the mechanic fix your issue?