nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

99 Plymouth Breeze 2.4L 4Cyl. Car has a hard time starting.

Customer Question

99 Plymouth Breeze 2.4L 4Cyl.

Car has a hard time starting. If I crank it long enough it will start and run fine. After the car sits overnight it won't start again.
I checked the fuel pressure this morning after it wouldn't start, and it was reading 0. turning the key off and on makes no difference to the pressure in the system. I can hear the fuel pump come on when the ignition is turned on. After cranking the car for awhile I finally got it to start, and the fuel pressure upto about 46-47psi. I let it set for an hour, and it had dropped a few psi. Bled pressure off, and same problem again. The pressure in the system is not building up when cranking. swapped both the relay for the fuel pump, and the ASD with no effect.

Car runs fine though once it gets pressurized.
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Billy :

This most likely is caused by a faulty fuel pump module, or even regulator (within fuel pump module).

Billy :

This is not good news, as you now, the fuel pump (including module, and regulator), are only accessible by removing the tank.....(lowering it)

Customer:

Well, I have replaced one before, so I know the routine

Customer:

Should I go ahead and replace the filter since I have the tank off?

Billy :

of course.....

Customer:

Okay, Thanks