Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

Car was driven fine this morning...kind of like an automatic weapon

Car was driven fine this morning. But now car will not start. In place of start, there is a rapid fire rat-at-tat sound, kind of like an automatic weapon, or a hyped up woodpecker. Tried again, car started without a problem.  Afraid to use car in the event that I go somewhere and the same problem arises and I can't get it restarted .  2002 S80 model.
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 5 years ago.
Hello sorry for the delay,

This is a sure sign that there are poor connections at the battery cables where they connect to the battery resulting in a voltage drop which in turn makes that noise.(by the way i love your analogy of a hyped up woodpecker) Remove them and clean real good with a wire brush and you should be good to go!

If you have further questions feel free to reply. Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Your question does not close and you can post back right here at anytime for related info for no extra charge.