Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic

Pickup: chev..ton..I thought the muffler was rattling

i have a 1990 chev cheyenne pickup, 350 3/4 ton. My mechanic tells me i need a new transmissiom.. At first I thought the muffler was rattling. The under side vibrates when pressing on the gas, and starting the vehicle from a stop. My mechanic says it is the fly wheel. ??? What would be your opinion?
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 5 years ago.

If it's the flywheel, it can be replaced without a new transmission. The trans just has to be removed to get to it that's all..

If you have further questions feel free to reply. Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Your question does not close and you can post back right here at anytime for related info for no extra charge.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you have any idea on the cost of replacing the flywheel in the 1990 chev 3/4 ton pickup

2 or 4 wheel drive?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2 wheel drive. i am in hamilton ontario if that concerns costs. The transmissions appears to be fine. No problems with shifting into gear or over drive. Rattle/shake is from mid to back end. when pressing on gas, sometimes it vibrates in same area. If i take my foot of the gas, then press on gas it stops for a period. It is an automatic transmission.

First thing to do is get a second opinion from a different mechanic that will drive it and be able to hear it because it could just be a transmission mount, that would explain why it does it under acceleration. The flywheel calls for about 4 hours labor so the cost will depend on how much the shop charges per hour for labor, and the part is about $150 US dollars.

Thanks for asking!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will get a second opinion tomorrow and let you know

You are very welcome. I wish i was able to drive it :-(

Thank YOU for asking!