Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.

2002 ford focus: rebuilt..blows hot..reservoir..Also the gauge

My son rebuilt the motor on a 2002 ford focus. He filled the cooling system and it blows hot water out of the reservoir when it comes up to temp. Also the gauge never goes above the normal setting. How do you bleed air out of the cooling system
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

heavy_chevy_396 :

If there is no bleeder and I am assuming there is not, the easiest way to bleed the air out is to remove the cap, fill the coolant to within an inch or so of the top, allow the engine to warm up untill the thermostat opens, then shuf off the engine, jack up under the front frame on the side where the radiator cap is untill the radiator fill hole is higher than the rest of the cooling system. Then go over to the top hose and place both hands on the hose, push down as far as it will go and squeeze real hard a few times and push all the air out the cap hole. Top off, lower vehicle and test it again. If the coolant level comes up while it is warming up, then overflows, goes way back down and up again and keeps doing this the thermostat is sticking and should be replaced.

Customer:

It never seems loike the hose from the termostat ever gets hard. The thermostat is brand niw too. If there is a bleeder where would it be?

heavy_chevy_396 :

Most likely on the thermostat housing, but I don't think it has one.

Customer:

OK so any idea why the hose would never get hard afetr the thermostat should be open? Or why the gauge never goes above normal?

heavy_chevy_396 :

Like you said it has air in it, air can be compressed, fluid (coolant) cannot. Plus air isn't has hot as coolant, that is why the gauge is not hot.

heavy_chevy_396 :

remove the cap, fill the coolant to within an inch or so of the top, allow the engine to warm up untill the thermostat opens, then shuf off the engine, jack up under the front frame on the side where the radiator cap is untill the radiator fill hole is higher than the rest of the cooling system. Then go over to the top hose and place both hands on the hose, push down as far as it will go and squeeze real hard a few times and push all the air out the cap hole. Top off, lower vehicle and test it again

Customer:

OK one last question if it does have a bleeder what is the process to bleed using the bleeder?

heavy_chevy_396 :

Just open it and let the air out. They usually put bleeders on engines where the radiator sits so low that it's almost impossible to get the air out because the radiator fill hole is below the rest of the system. I would look in your owners manual, if you do have a bleeder that would tell you.

Customer:

SO just fill the radiator, start the engine to come up to temp and leave the bleeder open until it pushes pure coolant?

heavy_chevy_396 :

You can download it here https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

heavy_chevy_396 :

Did you find a bleeder?

Customer:

I think so

Customer:

On the thermostat housing

Customer:

No I don't think that is what it is. I guess I will try the jack method you describe thanks

heavy_chevy_396 :

Ok, open it up with the engine cold and off and see if any air comes out.

heavy_chevy_396 :

Yeah, cause I just searched your entire owners manual and didn't see any mention of a bleeder.

Mike S., Mechanic
Experience: 25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.