Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

Trailer brake..The connector..landrover..wiring diagram

Customer Question

I am fittinga Draw Tite trailer brake control to my Range Rover Sport 2009. The connector with the controller is four wire, the landrover socket is five wire. I was trying to get a Range Rover wiring diagram to check but cannot find one on the web.

Any comments on the wiring?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall Is there a way you can tell me the wire colors going to the 5 pin connector on Rover

Customer:

Yes, give me 2 minutes.

Customer:

Here are the colours.

White/pink
Green/Purple
Blue
Black
Brown

These are the colours on the Range Rover

Customer:

The Standard conector with the unit has 4 wires, the colours are;
Black
Red
Blue
White

Customer:

If I connect it the brown would not be used and the colours would be:

White/Pink to the black connector to the brake unit
Green/purple to the red connector to the brake unit
Blue to the blue connector to the brake unit
Black to the white connector to the brake unit

Tracer :

I have the diagram but very small to read so hard to send to you. Coding coming next

Customer:

Tracer :

Brown= 12volts w/key W/P = 12volts battery hot all the time G/P = Brake light switch Black= ground Blue = to trailer brakes

Tracer :

the problem is i do not know what wire for controller needs to be hooked to what. I only h the Rover side

Tracer :

Did you get a diagram as to what wire is for what on the controller

Customer:

From what I can see I am good to go

Controller wiring is;

Black is hot (+)
Red is from brake switch
White is ground (-)
Blue goes to the trailer brake

Does that look good to you?

Tracer :

Little concerned. You have nothing showing what wire goes to what on the controller. If not,, what model controller

Tracer :

Oh,, you did send how controller is marked?

Customer:

I do, that was from the controller drawing I have here

Controller wiring is;

Black is hot (+)
Red is from brake switch
White is ground (-)
Blue goes to the trailer brake

Tracer :

Ok, you call on the Black wire on controller. you can go to the brown with 12 volts with key on OR go to the W/P for 12 volts all the time. its up to you. Hope this makes sense

Customer:

Yes, many thanks. I will check with a multi meter and go for it. I would prefer the black on the switch but there are no pins for the brown.

Customer:

Thanks again

Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wired the harnes in but did not connect the controller. At the controller connector I have:

12V Black
12V on the red from the brake, when I brake it goes to zero
12V on the blue on going to the trailer

What I cannot understand is how come I have 12V on the blue as I would have thought this would be zero and the controller sent a voltage down the blue, does that question make sense?

The controller is a "Intella-Stop Ultra with proportional control by Draw Tite

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Unsure. maybe try hooking up as the controller may do some circuit corrections?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Worst I can do is blow a fuse :-)

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
true. One problem is i cant find that controller on the drawtight website