SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

355 chevy: rebuilt..cutlass..I have a msd street fire distrib..vaccum

I have just installed a newly rebuilt 355 chevy in my 80 cutlass. I have a msd street fire distrib. with a vaccum advance.Trying to breakin the cam but I have to turn the timing way down to start it. It seems I have to turn the timing down everytime to start. How can I set my timing and be able to just start the car everyday.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer

SNAPONTECH :

First off I am not sure if you did the cam break in but you should use lucus breakin fluid run for 20 mins at a good rpm. Either way the best way to set the timing is run it right at 34 thats where it needs to be. You dont want the idle advance to low around 10-14 is best

SNAPONTECH :

When setting the timing get the timing light on there and pinch vacuum advance get a idea where the timing is at you will need a timing light with dwell to do it the right way you will set the timing light up and turn the # XXXXX it up as the idle goes up until fully advanced you will want the # XXXXX be 34 and the line to be right on 0 on the mark off the timing cover

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks Danny

Customer:

Yes i used lucas oil break in 2000 rpm or so. I should start the car put the light on the balancer and advance it

SNAPONTECH :

Yes

SNAPONTECH :

have the vac advance off plugged then run it up to 3000-3400 rpms using the dwell on the timing light start raising it up until you get to 34 and the mark is on 0

Customer:

got it thanks.