sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

1995 oldsmobile: I locate the transmission

Customer Question

how do I locate the transmission code for a 1995 oldsmobile town and country? I got the check engine blinking count. From 1 reading of check engine it then flashes 5 times. (pause) then 5 more. is it 1 5 5 or 5 5? where do I get the coresponding codes to have it scaned?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok dave, Im stephanie. There was way, way too much trans fluid in my 1995 Olds town & country. 3.8L V6. A friend of mine loosened the five bolts just enough to let it seep out without breakin the seal off. He got the fluid level down where it needs to be. He thinks that the filter is clogging in it possibly because i can drive it for a while before it slips gears. I park it shut it off and then restart it then slowly take off again and it will engage into second gear etc... If it has slipped and i just put it into park or any other gear and acclerate it does not catch 2nd gear, it stays stuck in first. He also said he thinks it could be a sensor gone bad. I did the flashy blink thing with the check engine light and got: change engine -pause-5-count-pause-5-count. but I cant seem to find out the code to have my trans scanned by my friend with a scanner. im a poor single mom of three. what do you think I should do? also my vin # is 1c4gh54l5rx363374

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
According to the VIN you provided, your vehicle should be a Chrysler Town and Country. Not an Oldsmobile. Can you verify this for me?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my mini van has just over 209,000 miles on it. I have a new job starting tues. will my van make it the 40 min. drive to work every day? Then back again? Sorry my bad, I dont know crap about cars. Lol. It is a chrysler. everything else i told you is accurate. oops
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.
I will have to send your question over to the Chrysler experts. Someone should be with you shortly. Do not respond back to me, as this will lock the question to me and noone else will be able to help. Thanks.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You found 1, 2, 5, and 5. These are in the engine controller, not the trans controller. 12 means the battery has been disconnected at some point, 55 means end of test.

Your trans is fully electrically controlled by a module. When the transmission controller sees a problem it thinks can cause potential damage to the trans it will shut off the relay that powers the shift solenoids, and it locks you in second gear. This is called limp-in.

When the trans goes into limp-in it will set fault codes in the TCM. The first thing you need to do for this is have the codes read that are stored in the TCM. They will point in the right direction for diagnosis. This will need to be done using a capable scan tool through the data link connector under the dash.

There are many possible causes for limp-in. The most common and cheapest cause would be either the input or output speed sensors that are screwed into the front of the trans. These run about $20, are easy to change, and will be in stock at any parts store or dealer. If the speedometer always works ok when the trans won't shift you can rule out the output speed sensor, it's signal is also used for the speedometer.

The next most common cause would be a failed solenoid or clutch pressure switch. These are all inside the solenoid pack mounted to the front of the trans. If any of the solenoids or pressure switches are bad it requires solenoid pack replacement.

Other possible causes include internal trans problems, wiring from the trans to the TCM, or even the TCM itself. The stored fault codes will tell you where to start.