Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1999 Chevy Suburban 2500: V8..a very bad hesitation..first start..tank

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban 2500 with a 350 V8 Vortec engine. The vehicle has a very bad hesitation when I first start moving which lasts about 10 to 20 seconds then the vehicle picks up speed pretty good. I tried some fuel injector cleaner and the problem seems less while the fuel injector cleaner is in the tank. I also change the fuel filter and that did not effect the problem. The vehicle was off the road for about 18 months about a year and a half ago and did not start the engine the whole time. I'm thinking it's either the fuel injectors or maybe the catalitic converter is clogged because it was off the road and didn't run for 18 months. The "check engine" light is not on. I'm only a back yard mechanic and could use some help in trouble shooting this problem. Thanks, Ciro
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

are you there?

tims auto repair :

sense the engine light dont come on,,the first thing to do here is to check the fuel pressure

tims auto repair :

these vortec engines must have no less than 60psi at all times

tims auto repair :

anything less may ccause this hesitation

tims auto repair :

i would think your fuel pump is weak

tims auto repair :

and may need to be replaced

tims auto repair :

this is a fairly common problem

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

I changed the fuel pump about 8 years ago and I can hear it running. Is there anything that will cause low fuel pressure?

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

even though the pumpis running..the pressure can be low...very common

tims auto repair :

these pumps can be bad,,new right out of the box

Customer:

Hi thanks for your help so far. How do I check the pressure

tims auto repair :

there is a shrader valve just behind the throttle body that the fuel pressure tester connects to

tims auto repair :

connect the test gage

tims auto repair :

start the engine and give it throttle

tims auto repair :

the pressure should never fall below 60psi,,,,even while turning the starter

tims auto repair :

i would think you may need another fuel pump

Customer:

OK Thanks. Can you think of any other reasons for the hesitation?

tims auto repair :

sense the engine light isnt on,the fuelpressure test is where to start here

tims auto repair :

there are many many things that could cause this

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

this is where to start

tims auto repair :

and ,is the most common problem

tims auto repair :

Customer:

OK Thanks

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.