Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager

Water is not circulating in my 2000 Discovery II.

Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Does the engine overheat?

Have you checked the water pump?

Does the system build up pressure?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes to all three, I just had engine worked on.
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. There is a tester for that, that you can gt from Autozone for about $20. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

Block tester available as:

Napa BK.(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

Part Number:

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Of course, you will want to make sure that the system is full, the coolant is circulating, and the cooling fan(s) are working as well as the pressure cap holding pressure. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a heat sensor I should worry about ?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
Not if there are exhaust gases in the cooling system. That would indicate a problem in the engine, (head gasket or head) With any engine that has been run hot or over heated, I always check the integrity of the engine so as to not be misled or replace parts that may not be needed.