SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience:  2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology
49697172

2004 scion xa: parking brake..2 trucks facing downhill..loosen..roll

have there been any documented 2004 scion xa parking brake problems? today, I was trapped between 2 trucks facing downhill. I needed a friend to help me get the car out with 5 tries -- he got it out to the street and then pulled the parking brake up so that there was no way I could release it and drive away (it happens all the time with valet parking attendants too). he reached into the car to loosen it just enough for me to get situated to drive away and the car began to roll and actually hit the car in front of me that I was trying to avoid! even with my foot on the regular brake! was this a fluke or could there be a problem with my parking brake? I bought the car used from a respected scion dealership in 2007 (and it is 2004). now I have to lay out $450 for a replacement passenger door and $400 labor (including new paint job) -- is that too much?
Category: Car
Expert:  SNAPONTECH replied 3 years ago.

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer

Customer:

thank you.

Customer:

what I really want to know is if a faulty parking brake could have made my situation worse or if it was simply an unfortunate accident

SNAPONTECH :

Sounds like your parking brake is faulty. I checked and there is not a TSB or any problems reported about the scion brake having any failure when you noticed the brake was failing I would have had the system checked most likely its out of adjustment and needs to be repaired there are some people on forums that have issues and others that have not so there is not a pattern that I can see. Most likely the brake is worn out of adjustment and was an unfortunate accident

SNAPONTECH :

That price on the auto body sounds fair those places are rough but you can ask for atleast 3 estimates and ask for the less amount out of the 3

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you have any questions..

Customer:

we got the car door from a junk yard - -it is grey and will need to be attached and painted white to match the car, and since the door will not open, hinges need to be adjusted and things banged out - thankfully, the inside of the door is fine, just replacing the outer shell. still sound ok?

Customer:

any chance toyota might be able to determine if the brake is faulty or was wear and tear?

SNAPONTECH :

They will be able to most likely have a cause of the failure

Customer:

meaning maybe it could have been a faulty brake all along, thus the reason parking valets always have it up too high and too tight?

SNAPONTECH :

They can tell if something failed from wear or a defective componant

SNAPONTECH :

But they will say you should have had it checked back then and adjusted

SNAPONTECH :

That sounds like it out of asjustment to me

Customer:

I'm sure they would. that's unfortunate for me. I wonder if I should take it to the dealer before I get the bodywork done or after. and if the brake is still under warranty as in lifetime warranty. I had the 3 year service agreement - that's as long as they would give me at the dealership.

SNAPONTECH :

There is no lifetime warranty but you should have it inspected at the dealer as soon as possible

SNAPONTECH, Technician
Experience: 2 year Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences Degree in Automotive Repair Technology