Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2000 Isuzu rodeo: timing belt..runs fine..noisy valves..passenger side

I purchased a 2000 Isuzu rodeo 3.0 v6 70000 miles. Previously had a broken timing belt. runs fine now except noisy valves on passenger side where the belt was broken. pulled the valve cover - looks fine. did notice a new gear which drives the cams. Noise is worse on the front cylinder. sounds just like valve train noise but loud. No miss. Exhaust pipe is black. No codes. Haven't checked compresion. What would you guess is causing the noise and is the valve lash adjustable?
Welcome to JustAnswer, I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process.

That should be a 3.2 not a 3.0, is that correct?

I would check the valve lash and do a compression test to determine if it is the lash or a bent valve. i would say it is one of those two issues.

Here is the procedure, it is not an adjustment, there are shims that set the lash. If you want to do it yourself I can send you the associated diagrams

Note: To adjust valve clearance, apply engine oil to the cam as well as to the adjusting shim (2) with the cylinder head built on the cylinder block, give a few turns to the camshaft by means of timing pulley tightening bolt, and measure valve clearance when the nose of cam is just opposite to maximum cam lift (1) as shown in illustration.

Valve Clearance Standard Value (cold)
Intake: 0.23 mm - 0.33 mm (0.0091 inch - 0.0130 inch)
Exhaust: 0.25 mm - 0.35 mm (0.0098 inch - 0.0138 inch)

Selection of Adjusting Shim
Shim to be selected = (Thickness of removed shim) + (Valve clearance measurement - Standard value)
Based on the above formula, the best suited shim should be selected from 41 sorts of shim (differently thick at 0.02 mm (0.0008 inch) intervals from 2.40 mm (0.0945 inch) through 3.2 mm (0.1260 inch) thick). Install the shim and check valve clearance.

Replacement of Shim

Let the cam push down the edge of tappet by using J-42689 valve clearance adjusting tool and push out the shim with a flat blade screw driver as shown in illustrations.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes neil it is a 3.2 sorry, Where is this shim located and what holds it in place?

Here is a digram to show the shim and it's position. Just click on the link.